1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jen4, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    My uncle is bring my chicks as we speak and I cant remember what to do! I'm running around like my head is chopped off!

Do I give them sugar water? Whats the mixture? Help!

(*pics of the chicks on down the page)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I think you just need to provide fresh water and chick starter.

Being a new chick Mom, not sure why you would need to have any additives in fresh water.

I got my 10 girls from the feed store the day after they arrived from New Mexico 3 days old. I just put them in the prepared brooder with the fresh water, feed and red heat lamp and they found the food and water on their own.

I had three that had paste butt that I cleaned with barely warm water at the sink after they had a chance to eat and drink. A wet paper towel didn't work because it was so thick and stuck around the vent.

Good luck with your new babies and be sure to show us pics.

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Ok... thank you

I thought I read that somewhere, but cant find it now and want to make sure so I dont do anything wrong.

4. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Some people do ad sugar to the water. The hatchery I ordered mine from emailed me the things to do to get the brooder ready and that was one thing that they added. I can't find that list anywhere now so i'm not sure how much sugar you put [​IMG]

5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I put paper towels down over the wood chips right?

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    You may add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar to each quart of water if you choose. I've never done it and I've lost very few birds over the years.

You should put newspaper over your bedding for the first day. Most instruction sheets I've read tell you to sprinkle chick starter on the newpaper as well. This is supposed to get the chicks eating on their own, as well as preventing them from eating bedding.

Personally, I would think it would teach the chicks to look below their feet for food, rather than in the feeders, and I have never done this myself. I've always just put them down on coarse pine bedding with well-stocked feeders and had great results.

Whatever you do, don't keep them on paper for more than 1 day or they could get spraddle-legged.

Just relax, read some care instructions on the hatchery sites and be calm and take your time. Your babies have been alive for at least 2 days and a few minutes more out of the brooder won't make or break them.

7. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Here they are.... my 26 new babies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Getting drinks [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All warm and snug...

[​IMG]
    I'm really excited, lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. HokieBird

HokieBird Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Waxhaw NC
    [​IMG]

Very cool! Thanks for posting the pictures of the babies!!

9. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Very cute!! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Cute!!! Where did you get your Buff Orps from? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by