My chicks are one month old!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynnSimpson, Mar 24, 2015.

1. LynnSimpson

LynnSimpson New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Hi all:

My chicks are now one month old. They've gotten most of their feathers (a couple still have fuzz around their necks). At this point, it's still too cold to put them outside in the coop.
    Currently, they're in a cattle tank in my bathroom. However, they are really starting to fly! I've put netting over the top but I'm afraid they might get hurt on it. How do I handle this? Also,
    I'm feeding them "chick starter". At what point should I change to regular chicken feed?

Lynn

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you have electric to the coop?

What is the protein percentage of the chick starter?

There is grower and finisher feed. All different percentages of protein.
    Basically one should give chicks 18-22% protein till about 5 weeks. Then an 18 % grower for a while and then cut the protein more at about 12 weeks. These are generalities. If your starter is 18% and non-medicated, they can eat that till they start laying.

Don't switch to layer feed till they are laying eggs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They should be okay with the netting, and you do need to keep them inside the brooder so they don't fly out and get cold or starve. I keep mine in brooders 2 feet high with screen over top. You will get many opinions on feed, but the easiest thing is to keep them on chick starter/grower, or an all flock or flock raiser crumbles until they are laying eggs, when they need layer feed with extra calcium. Even then, they can stay on flock raiser, as long as you provide crushed oystershell on the side for the extra calcium they know they need. Extra calcium of layer feed is not good for the kidneys of chicks. Flock raiser is what many people use for all ages and sexes, when they are raising chicks with grownups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by