My chicks are pecking at their bedding

ChickensAreGODS

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
is this a bad thing? i give them food and water and they eat and drink it but they just LOVE to peck at their bedding! Should i be worried about this?

it was marketed as birch wood shavings for chicks and chickens
Gotcha!
It's a normal behavior for chicks to scratch and peck bedding, trying to look for food. If they're interested in their food and water and are drinking fine, it's not something I would be overly worried about. Sometimes people will lay down strips of paper towels underneath the feeders, just to give them an area where there's just clearly food and no shavings (That's only usually done when the chicks are very young, like 3 days or less) That can help teach the chicks what is actually food and what's not.

Gotcha!
It's a normal behavior for chicks to scratch and peck bedding, trying to look for food. If they're interested in their food and water and are drinking fine, it's not something I would be overly worried about. Sometimes people will lay down strips of paper towels underneath the feeders, just to give them an area where there's just clearly food and no shavings (That's only usually done when the chicks are very young, like 3 days or less) That can help teach the chicks what is actually food and what's not.
alright great!

Back
Top Bottom