My chicks are picking each others tail

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
I just checked on my 9 babies (3 weeks old), and in the last hour and a half, they had picked each others tails to bleeding! One poor girl was raw. I personally think they are in too small a space, but I cannot think where I can put them where they will be safe? I have big girls out in the coop, so they are definitely not safe there. Any cures for picking for babies?

It sounds like there is not enough room. Is there anyway you can build another brooder? Or a large dog kennel with hardware cloth around it. Make sure you take the injured chick out and clean her up. If she is bleeding I would not put her back. I had this happen to one of mine a few months ago. Use neosporin without the pain medicine in it. Good luck

Blu-Kote immediately (it hides the red) and then get cracking on a bigger space for them. Are you housing outdoors or in?

I made a brooder out of a dryer box on it's side - super fast and easy, wire with duct tape across the top for ventilation. You might check with your local appliance store to see if they have any boxes?

Good luck!
smile.png

I agree that it is typical behavior in an overcrowding issue.

Quote:
Like cats, you can't really keep chickens from preening and picking at themselves, so I don't think it is a good idea to use Blu-Kote on chickens. The label also says specifically not to use it on food producing animals.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dr-naylor-blu-kote.html

Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote Caution(s)
For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from the eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not spray in the eyes. Do not inhale. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area.

For animal use only.

Keep from the reach of children.

Use only as directed.
Warning(s)
Not for use on food producing animals.

I guess I know what our weekend project is going to be! We have been planning on enlarging the run, I guess we will get started and leave the fence between so everyone can get to know each other until the little ones are big enough to introduce. Then we will cut a doorway between.

Back
Top Bottom