My chicks are scared of me:(

Ok, this is just my opinion, and comes from my own babies, but here goes:

First, we've been holding our little guys nearly constantly since we brought them home. Sometimes they SEEK out affection, sometimes they run from me. They love it when I bring them treats though, and will come over to see what I've brought!

So my theory with my guys
wink.png
is that most of them DO like to be petted, they just hate to be caught. Kwim? If we move slowly they'll let us pick them up, but they still squawk and carry on. Once I am actually cuddling them, though, they settle down and sometimes take a nap.

This doesn't go for ALL of my chicks, though. For my group (not generalizing on all people's birds here, though, so please don't be offended), my RIR's are REALLY standoffish and don't like to be petted. My BR's tolerate it well, and some even enjoy it. My NHRs LOVE pettings. Will even jump into my hand! And everyone in this brood has been held about the same amount. I talk to them all the time, and they do cheep back to me.

So a few treats, and lots of holding.

I really hope I end up with a LAP CHICKEN!! That would ROCK! Well.. if I remember to keep a lap cloth close by...

Good luck with your babies!

Meghan

Last edited:
I think they are just naturally afraid of "those big creatures" when they're babies. Mine range from 7 weeks to about 5 weeks & the older ones are just now "seeking" my attention. They RUN to me when I come into the yard & if I sit down in the pen, they will all jump up to roost on my legs & the Buff Orpingtons will actually snuggle in the crook of my arm & like to be petted. They were not this way even a few weeks ago, so I believe if you keep bringing them treats & holding them, they will become "lap chickens" in good time!
big_smile.png
Seems to depend on the breed, too. My BO's are extremely friendly, cuddly & calm, the Barred Rocks are next friendliest & the Black Australorps are still pretty timid & don't really like to be held or petted, although they will jump up on me with the rest of them.

Last edited:
ive definitely noticed a difference in the breeds too.
my orpington is probably the most friendly.. next is the BR, then the RIR, Americauna, then the SLW.

dont get me wrong, they all love being pet when i have something they want (of course).

but buffy and roxy seem to want my attention even when they know i dont have anything.

and the more time i spend with Izzie (RIR), the more affectionate she gets. shes seeming to get more loving as she gets older. she even jumped in my lap today and acted like it was completely normal of her. haha

Back
Top Bottom