My chicks are sleeping in the corner? Is that fine?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone! I've got some 6wk old BR and EE pullets, they finally moved out to the big coop about a week ago (yay!) but I noticed last night, they're not sleeping on the roost with the big chickens? They all huddle up in the corner of the pen to sleep. Is this alright? Will they eventually roost with everyone else? And are they fine sleeping on the ground?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They will figure it out eventually. Give them a few more weeks. Sleeping on the ground will not hurt them, all of my Silkies sleep on the floor and some of my Polish do as well. You can try putting them on the roost when it is dark so they sleep there until they get the hang of it themselves.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    They will be fine. The momma hen teaches her young to roost so without a hen it takes a while for that instinct to kick in. Also, keep in mind that the older hens are likely to bully or play ruler of the roost over the younger ones.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mine usually do that until they are 10 to 11 weeks old. Then they learn to roost without any help from me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by