My Chicks Are Terrfied

CornerViewFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Ohio
I have 17 chicks i bought from tsc that will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday and there terrified of me. I have spent all my spare time with them handeling them. Even leave a raido on so they are used to hearing people. There still scared of me. Anyone out there that can help me with this?

Also some of the chicks are starting to grow combs would those be roos?

Don't feel bad, mine are the same way and they are five weeks old. My older girls were that way and as they got older they decided that I was the bringer of treats and therefore awesome. They warmed up to me as they matured and are now 7 months and very friendly. Just keep spending time with them and they will become loyal. I really got their attention when I started sitting in the pen with them and holding an ear of corn on the cob, they started to jump up in my lap and gain trust after doing that a few times. Now they stand on my feet and beg for attention.

When I went to feed my chicks I put some in the palm of my hand and lower it into the brooder box and say "chic chic chic" they come over and eat from my hand and climb on me. It takes awhile but they learned that the food comes from me. After I feed them then I put the feeder in and say "chic chic chic" again and let them have it.
smile.png
Now whenever I go over to the brooder box and look in a few of my BO's come over to me and jump up at me wanted me to pick them up, its so cute.

My chicks acted the same way. They are now 9 weeks old and in their coop. I go out there and sit on the ground and they are now jumping in my lap. They are becoming quite tame.

It may also depend on the breed of the chick. My EE's are not so friendly, but they will let me hold them for a while, on the other hand, my silkies have only been with me for 4 days now and when I let them outside today they followed me around like I was their mom.

I'll have to try to start feeding them out of my hand. If that dont work ill have to hope they turn out like the rest of yalls
big_smile.png
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow of the comb thing.

I dont want my chicks to turn out like the rest of my birds that have been given to me or bought at an auction. They wont get near me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine always act like that when they are in the brooder. I have a tote brooder and I think approaching them from above freaks them out. As soon as I give them a little more room(in my outside brooder/pen and I introduce treats they are practically jumping in my lap.

I always talk to mine when I approach the brooder so they aren't as suprised. About the combs, it's possible the ones growing larger combs are the boys but it's not a 100% indicator.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom