1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicks aren't growing! Please help before it gets cold!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by racefanz, Oct 9, 2013.

1. racefanz

racefanz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    Maine
    I purchased some silkie cross chicks the end of August and they aren't growing. They are about 8-9 weeks old I think. They haven't even doubled in size. I have been feeding them chick starter and am switching over to grower. I am worried that they won't make it through the cold Maine winter if they dont' grow. Any suggestions? They go out of their cage with their "Momma" almost daily now so they are able to peck around. They always have food and water.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you have photos?

Doesn't sound like there's any reason for them not to grow. Are they fully feathered, or do they have baby fuzz?

3. racefanz

racefanz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    Maine
    I do have pictures but I need to upload them. I talked to a guy at a local store where I get my chicken food and he said that they may just be small birds. They are slikiecross. I can't remember with what though. They are feathered out now. Growing slightly. Maybe they weren't getting enough to eat. They are eating grower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by