My Chicks died, how could I have prevented it?

ShawnaScott

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Frankfort, IN
I lost my first chicks today
hit.gif
Two days ago Rural King finally got in some Silkie Chicks, and when I went to get them, I noticed they also had Japanese Mottled chicks. They were so cute I had to get a couple. I saw that about a quarter of the chicks had pasty butt. I specifically bought those as I didn't want them to die. I called the manager and complained that they were doing nothing, and in his words "All you have to do is put oats in the feed, which we do. There is no reason to clean their vents, it will come off on its own." Needless to say, I cleaned their vents, and I thought I got it all. I woke up this morning and both Japanese were dead. One had a HUGE clump of feces on his butt. I just cleaned them yesterday and checked back last night and they were fine. I'm worried it was an illness that could have been prevented but there was no blood in the stool. They don't seem to be too warm, nor too cold. Could a prolonged case of Pasty Butt been the culprit? The chicks were very small, but all of the Japanese in the store were the same size. I don't know if it was just an unlucky pick, or if the rest of them at RK are sick. I want to get two more Japanese to replace the two I lost, but I don't want to put the rest of my flock in jeopordy.

Do you think it was the effects of the pasty butt? I honestly thought they were healthy, other than that. They were up running around and peeping a lot.

Its hard to say, The pasty butt could have been a sign of some other hidden problem. When you are choosing your stock always pick the healthiest of the bunch.

I would be more particular in pickin baby chickens. A little leery that a quarter of their stock had pasty bum. To me that would be a warning sign. And would think that maybe they are not being kept warm enough. I think you did the right thing cleaning them tho. Just my 2cents.

I would be more particular in pickin baby chickens. A little leery that a quarter of their stock had pasty bum. To me that would be a warning sign. And would think that maybe they are not being kept warm enough. I think you did the right thing cleaning them tho. Just my 2cents.
I wasn't sure if you meant I wasn't keeping them warm enough, or RK didn't, but just to be safe I covered 3/4 of their brooder with a towel. The remaining two got a lot more active than they had been. Maybe I froze the other two to death
hit.gif

Are you not using a heat lamp?

No, I have a heat lamp with a red bulb. They are in a horse trough with sides 1 and 1/2 high, the heat lamp is attach to one of the sides, so that makes it about a foot and a half away from the chicks. They are bantams though, does that make a difference?

The height of the light might have been to high to keep the temperature warm enough for them. You should be able to tell if they are too cold, they will be right under the lamp and be piled together in an effort to keep warm. Your banties might have possibly been crushed/suffocated by larger chicks if they were on the bottom of the pile.

Back
Top Bottom