My chicks don't like to be handled. Help!

They are not afraid of you - they are afraid of the Big Scary Hand. It resembles a predator to them. You will find that once you have them in hand they calm down. Don't worry!
smile.png

Helps to know the breed as some are more flightly then others in behaviors

Have you just tried sticking your hand in there and doing nothing no catching, no chassing just holding it still and letting them come to you (shiny rings help
wink.png
too)

When the chickens were younger about 2 weeks we got a few cooked rice grains and stuck them on the tips of fingers (palm flat again) and they quickly learned hand= food.

As for holding we scoop our babies up. most of bird in palm of hand fingers between the legs. We have less fighting then reaching in and garbbing. We have a few that can even be held on their backs.

In my very limited experience, I have found they will climb right into my hand if I hold a palm full of feed. They'll scurry out of reach when I stick my hand in, but curiosity gets the better of them. I lay my hand out flat an wait about 10 seconds. Once one climbs on. I am mobbed with the whole crew.

BTW they still don't like to be grabbed.

hope this helps,
Russ

Yes, I have been doing this. They certainly think I have food when they see my hands, because they peck on my fingers when I lower my hand into their enclosure. Especially the ones with nail polish on them, and of course (you are right Foxhound lady,) they love trying to eat my wedding ring.

I will keep at it and heed all of your advice, which has been very helpful. I'm so glad I found this site! Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago:

n1133381455_345993_159598.jpg

well I have had both experiances, I have four banities that will follow you around everywhere, if outside they will stay with in a couple of feet of me and if startled will run into my lap, I then have 3 silkies, they have not come around at all, I do the same with both, I have my food call, hand treats, and hold dailey they just sqaulk and cherp, I thought it would be the other way around with what i have read about silkies, so its more of a bird to bird thing, not soo much a breed thing, like kids, some are outgoing and some arnt, (the silkies wont take treated at all from us still)

I had the same problem with mine, and some of them are still kind of freaky at 6 weeks old. I quit trying to pick them up from above and started with my hand at their breast level. I scoop them up from the breast with one hand, then put a hand over their back. Sometimes they try to flap, but sometimes I can simply pick them up from beneath and they're fine. I've also found that at different ages they seem to change personalities. Peeps that were not friendly before now come up to see what I'm doing.

Also, be sure to talk to them whenever you're around so they get used to the sound of your voice, and just keep working with them gently. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom