My chicks don't seem happy in their coop at night!

I agree with "debid" and want to add that, if you keep food and water in the coop removing it at dusk will help them settle down quickly. Meanwhile just go in the house and ignore them.

Hi Everyone,

Tonight is my chicks second night in their coop. They are 6 week old red stars and have all their feathers. They love their coop and run all day but when I closed the door for the night to their coop they all went crazy and were fighting to be closest to the exit door. I feel so bad : ( I put in a flashlight just in case it was the dark that bothered them but to be honest we had their heat lamp off for a while before we put them out. I just don't want them to be scared!

Opinions? Experience?
Mine are a kind of like that. This is their second night in the coop and they are six weeks old as well. Tonight when I checked them they were fine but once I turned of the flashlight to leave they all freaked out and crammed into a corner. I hope that it won't take too long for them to get used to being without light all the time.

They will sleep better without the light. They will not be afraid if they are not disturbed. No matter how well intentioned checking on them in the night is bound to alarm them especially if they are not up on the roost yet. So.... if you must do it, the wait until well after dark and be as quiet as possible so you don't scare them awake don't wake and start the whole settling down process all over again. If you are a worrier go buy a baby monitor and set it up so you can hear them without disturbing their sleep.

Mine are out in their run/coop for the first time tonight. None wanted to stay in the coop. Tried to put them in several times and they would fly out. They ended up huddled in the corner of the run nested in pine shavings. Will they go in on their own in a few days or do I need to lock them in the coop at night? Weather is warm and they are safely enclosed. Wife seems to think I'll end up in a lawn chair and sleeping bag outside before morning breaks. HA!

I put them right on the roost the first few nights. Some will stay put, others jump on and off a few times before they settle in, some will try to hunker down in a nest box though I discourage this since it really upsets the layers.

With a mixed age flock I can't lock them in, since it would block to layers out of their next boxes. This batch (~11 weeks old) free range all day even though they do return to the run at dusk they. still needs to but put into the coop. But after I toss them in they are getting up on the top roost on their own and staying put till morning.

If you are worried consider buying a used baby monitor so you can at least sleep in your own bed!

Back
Top Bottom