My Chicks eye are shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crzychicken, Jun 20, 2010.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    I just got chicks from MPC and I lost 2 right away then I noticed their eye where shut on some then the next day a few more no smell no leaking just shut with a little crust any Idea what it is I did move them into my garage so they are no way never my other chickens
    Thank you

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Contact MPC and tell them what's happening with the chicks.

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    I e-mailed them but what should I give them

4. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Can someone Help me and tell me what to give my chicks for this I have no idea I did start giving them sulmet only because I don't know what to do all most 22 chicks with closed eye's

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

It seems clear that this is some sort of respiratory disease. Personally, I'd report it to my State Veterinarian and cull the whole lot. MPC should refund your money - at the very least they should replace the chicks with VACCINATED stock.

6. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    OK how do I cull them? I have been using Q tips and soaking the eyes so they will open the eye are not weeping just a little crust in the corner and they where Vaccinated

7. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Have you spoken with anyone at My Pet Chicken, yet? Not sure what vaccinations those chicks had. Mareks? Pullorum? I'd probably keep them going on the Sulmet until I could make contact with MPC - hopefully tomorrow. Just be sure to keep these chicks away from any other birds you may have.

8. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    These chicks are in my garage their eyes don't seem to run just a little crust on them.I have been washing them with warm water with a q tip and only 2 had there eye shut again and they are in a separate box in the brooder they were alll kept in section ones that eye's stayed out after washing the ones that eye's never shut and the chicks that still had 1 eye that closed and i had to rewash. I think they spent Monday night in the truck it was cool I know they don't get colds but could have cause stress I had one that was dead in the box and another died soon after I put them in the brooder then I lost one that it eye's where shut looked like that one got trampled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: