My chicks hatched....NOW WHAT??

starchick2

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
I am a teacher and have decided to hatch baby chicks in my classroom for the second time; the first attempt was not as successful as I had hoped. I currently have 23 eggs in my incubator. I am keeping the temperature at 99.5 and my moisture rings filled. I have an automatic egg turner, so I do not have to open the incubator very often, only when filling the moisture rings. I have learned from reading many of the posts on this site that during "lockdown" (days 18 and on) I should NOT open the incubator for any reason. However, I do have a few questions that I would love answered so this next hatch can go a little more smoothly. Thanks for all the advice and help in advance!

1. How long do you keep newly hatched chicks in the incubator before you remove them?

2. When, if ever, do you help a chick out of it's shell?

3. If a chick seems to have a deformity (curled feet, can't stand on it's leg, etc.) what should you do?

4. How do you handle a chick who constantly "pecks" at the other chicks? Is it just survival of the fittest?

5. Can newly hatched chicks start eating "starter" or do they have to be given mash, first. If so, how long do they need to be given mash before only the starter?

6. How long should I keep my chicks in my classroom before returning them to the feed store? (I am keeping them in a good sized clear plastic container with constant food/water and heat lamps, which I clean daily.)

7. Is newspaper okay to use in the bottom of the conatiner instead of shavings?

8. Is it really true that only 10% of newly hatched chicks actually survive?

9. If I see a chick who appears to be lethargic what should I do?

10. What is the best way to handle the eggs that DO NOT hatch? How many days should you give an egg that doesn't seem like it is going to hatch?

Okay, I think that is it ......for now!
smile.png

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
Thank you SO much!! You guys are great! I really appreciate all of your help and please know that my students do also!
thumbsup.gif

dunno smoores but most of those questions are straightforward with all the answers far more easily available via google than 10 years ago when this thread was written.
The only one I will address is "do only 10% of chicks survive". That's like askinig do only 10% of human babies survive because there are places where only 10% of human babies survive but generally 95% of them survive and I'd say with proper care it should be no different with chicks. Disease might affect this number but that comes down to proper care to some extent too.

Back
Top Bottom