My chicks hate me...

Hmm, well today I am buying 2 Polish chicks who are the same age as my silkie chicks. The lady I'm buying them from say's she handles them everyday and they like to be held. I'm wondering if my silkie chicks will learn from them....I hope so.
I'm not sure if that's how it works, but it's the best I can do right now. Usually when they hit 2 weeks old I take them outside, but the weather has been so bad, I can't.

This morning though was a huge breakthrough (well, kind of). I was talking quietly to them for a while, like you guys said to do, and one of them actually came up and pecked my hand!!
wee.gif

But as soon as I moved my hand she freaked out and ran back to her fluffy friends, but it's a start...I think.

I have handled my chicks since day one....i also will cover my kitchen table with paper towel and sprinkle some food out and bring them out in pairs for "playtime"....also several times a day i hold my hand in the brooder with food and they r starting to learn that my voice and my hand equal food...i also keep the brooder right in my kitchen so that they hear my voice and everything that goes on in the house all day....

I just think you need to give them more time. Mine are 4 weeks and every day they become more friendly. In the beginning the two white rocks were terribly skiddish but they have come a long way in just a few weeks. And once you can give them treats and they relate you to the goodies....you will be their best friend. JMO.

My chicks just run away when i get near them. When i put them in my lap they fall asleep. They are silkies, and one is a hen the other is a rooster. But its weird because they hate my brother. But its really funny when they chase him.
lau.gif
I think you should act like a mother to them or get them a place where they will always smell you.
idunno.gif
Im not an expert, but thats all i can do.

Give them treats in your hand. They don't peck hard till they get big. Some like mealworms. Mine like oats. Find something they go crazy over and offer it daily in your hand or hold it in a small container.

Totally random question about baby chicks, mine are about 4-5 days old. This is a first ever time having chicks/chickens and posting here on BYC. Can I put a stick from outside in their brooding bin for them to perch on and how long should I be supplementing their vitamins/electrolytes/pro-biotic in their water? Thanks, Claire

Claire

Usually the packages of the suppliments state a time frame. Most are 5 days from my experience. For sickly chicks i give a bit longer and feed them specially away from the other birds. And yes you can get a stick for them from outside, just make sure its cleaned off of anything they might try to eat off of it, like moss or lichen. And make sure there is no bird poop.

Well RonC, as soon as I saw your advice, I was like "Well, I don't have mealworms, but I have oats!" and I ran to the kitchen. Unfortunatley, they rejected them.
But I won't give up! I will find something they like as a treat!
Does anyone have a treat that they use for the chicks/chickens?
I'm really lacking ideas....

Well RonC, as soon as I saw your advice, I was like "Well, I don't have mealworms, but I have oats!" and I ran to the kitchen. Unfortunatley, they rejected them.
But I won't give up! I will find something they like as a treat!
Does anyone have a treat that they use for the chicks/chickens?
I'm really lacking ideas....
I've read some of the postings on here about treats. Hard-boiled egg yolks. I have tried yogurt (nonflavored) - which I didn't sit and watch them eat, but it was gone. Strawberries when they were 3-4 weeks old. Worms, crickets when they were 3-4 weeks old. Worms after 2 weeks. Bread. My little 3 weekers went after ants in the garage, where they were finishing their brooding days. They didn't like grapes.

Just remember if they get any solids other than their starter feed they will need chick grit whether it is purchased or they forage it from sand/dirt.

Back
Top Bottom