1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks have a big swollen right shoulder, what does that mean?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by knfitz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. knfitz

knfitz New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I just bought about a dozen cornish rock chicks from my local TSC a couple of days ago and I noticed yesterday and today that several of them have a really big swollen right shoulder almost as big as there head. What does this indicate? Is this some kind of disease? Please help!

2. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    i am not sure i have never heard of such a thing

3. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    This may be a dumb question, but are you sure it is not their crop? A few of my birds crops are pretty much on their shoulders. [​IMG]

4. knfitz

knfitz New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I'm not sure what a crop is. Do you have any photos or can you give a link to something that will show it? this is only my second time with chics so it could be something like that.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It's kinda like having a bigger boob on the right side. It will go down during the night and refill tomorrow. The more they eat the bigger it gets.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I consider the crop area part of the chest rather than the shoulder. It would be high and to the right of the chest, just below the neck area. The crop becomes engorged when they eat like piggies. If food is put up at night time, you can check them first thing in the morning and that swollen area should be down (because they pooped it all out).

ETA - I like Welasharon's description...lol. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    omg lol I just posted a new thread, panicing the same way, even tho Id already been warned... that sure is scary looking..[​IMG] OK, I feel better now.. ya, what I saw was a huge bulging tumor on the right, down by her lower neck/ upper chest, on my runt baby. I almost cried i was so scared for her LOL

These chicks are just like havin babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by