My chicks have cocci what do I do now.

I'm glad you posted here. Do they now have fresh, clean water with no drugs in it? That's the first step. Hopefully, the plain (no sugar or flavoring) yogurt and/ or buttermilk will help some. Also, you can add nonfat dry milk to their crumbles, up to 1/3 of the total of the feed in the feeder.

Yes fresh water now, but I will have to go to the store first thing in the morning for the rest. One of the chicks can hardly keep it's eyes open it seems to be so 'tired' and it's wobbling:( I had one other chick die and it did the same thing.

Is this common to have a few die? I would never had thought chickens to be so complicated in caring for! I started with 12.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom!
Amy

No, even when I have to give Corid for cocci, I've never had one die. The key is to get it what it needs ASAP. I rarely have a chick die for any reason. If they start out healthy and get proper care, they usually thrive.

your started off with your chicken experience with bad advise. It gets better and the rewards reap the bad times. they are great pets and give you wonderful eggs. DONT give up and hang in there!!! Wipe the slate clean and move foward................

You might loose some but cherish the ones that make it through the ruff times. They will love you for it! when its all said and done, you'll be happy you have them!!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Oh good heavens...I am so so sorry you were given this stupidity for advice.

Just keep one thing in your mind always when it comes to medication...especially with young ones. Never give them any medication or antibiotics until you have narrowed down what is wrong with them. They are not a preventative by any means and different ones treat different things.

Oh I wish you could remember who gave you that advice because I would love to set them straight for a paragraph pr two.

Follow speckledhen's advice, cross your fingers and I hope they recover from this.

Quote:
i'm sorry you are going through such a rough spell with your chickies!
hugs.gif
hopefully things will start looking up.

this might sound harsh, but i NEVER take the advice of feed store employees unless i've been dealing with that person for a while and know i can trust them. i'm not saying that they purposefully mislead people, but people who work at feeds stores don't actually have to have any practical knowledge of animals... and a lot of times, the ones who do raise their animals VERY differently than i do. so, take their advice with a grain of salt. BYC is a spectacular resource because there are tons of knowledgeable, helpful people who really know their birds.

Oh, boy, I'm not surprised at bad feed store advice. It's all I hear there, it seems. Perhaps you need to tell them that they are killing chicks with their advice, that experienced chicken breeders told them they were full of chicken poop.

Back
Top Bottom