My Chicks made it safe

ATChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
my 4 orpingtons made it safe through the post today. They were in transit for less than 24 hours. It took an hour, and some scrambling for last things, but they were all eating and drinking before I left for work. I've tried to attach a pic, not sure if it worked through the mobile app. I have a black, two blues and a splash chick

Super cute!! I have Lavender Orps and one Buff. So sweet and so SOFT! Softest feathers of all of my 7-week-old chicks. Have fun!!

They WeRe so quiet all night. I came and woke them to make sure. They are peeping and eating now. When should I worry about quiet or is that normal?

They WeRe so quiet all night. I came and woke them to make sure. They are peeping and eating now. When should I worry about quiet or is that normal?
The are so cute. Don't worry about them being quiet at night. They will peep and chatter to each other when they are awake and/or not resting but the rest of the time they will be quiet or just a little peep now and then. If this is your first time be prepared for the heart stopper. They will be just fine and then suddenly just fall over face first for a few minutes. They are just taking a nap. When this first happened to me I almost had a stroke. I thought they had dropped dead in their tracks. The chicken challenge is to see which of you has a nervous breakdown first. They usually win.

So, the little black one had a major case of pasty butt this am. We got that all cleared up and he was still kind of lethargic. Then he has a big poop and a good romp for food. He is always the first to disappear under the ecoglow (heating element) and I'm still a little worried about him. (Not sure which one is the him) they loved the yolk in their food. I was wondering if it would benefit the black one to separate him and give him his own serving?

Put a few drops of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water now and then. It will help with the pasty butt issue. And sure, give the little one some extra yolk on the side, it won't hurt. jtn42248 gave you good warning in their post above. I found one of my ever first chicks sleeping flat on it's back once. So I'd picked it up, thinking it's dead... We both screamed lol Enjoy your babies!

I removed some more poop from the booty on the black chick last night. He's perky and eating this am. Lots of chirping.

I got them from mypetchicken. I am located in Georgia.

Everyone was eating this am, lots of drinking (especially the black one and I've had the ACV in their water the whole time due to reading about it on this website). I have the yogurt/feed mix to put out today, but it's coming to room temp on the kitchen table right now.

How often can they have egg yolk? I'd like to give more to the lil black one as he is still the smallest. Will that contribute to pasty butt? I put some romaine leaves and celery leaves in their food this am. I also gave out a few meal worms. They are on organic starter crumbles by manna pro. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom