My chicks run what to use on ground.

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
jumpy.gif

Hello BYC'rs what is best for my 5 week old baby chicks their outside in a 5X6 coop with a 4x8 run enclosed run with wirer all aroud it top and botton and it's on the ground but.. the run is getting :rolleyes:pooped up and I need to put something down on the ground.In two to three weeks I will let them in a enclosed fenced area which is much bigger 25x 50 which is thiers, but I think thier still to small to be with my 5- 18 week olds they are on the otherside with there 30x50 fenced area and a old rabbit hutch I fixed for them, but somethimes they fly over or slip in the baby chicks area that's why their in a run for know until they kinda get to know one another then the babies will go in thier big run for a few weeks then the will be left in the whole fenced in run together and then in the big coop together 10x12 which has no chickens in it yet.

I have Staw or Shavings and I also have FG DE what should use.
Thanks Jody

I would put sand in their run - it is fine enough they can use it for grit, also.

For a small run you can get it at Lowes or some such, in bags, but for a bigger run you can buy it in bulk from places - I pay 17 dollars a half ton.

Sand is truly amazing in a chicken run - you won't regret it.

Peace -
Meriah

Quote:
Be sure that you don't buy play sand. You want the kind that's used by patio block layers with larger grains of sand than what you would find in bags.

I'm curious, why not play sand? Is there something wrong with it or bad for them? I ask because I have dirt in my run but I have play sand inside my coop. I might switch to sand outside too over the winter. In the coop, it's been working great, with no problems at all. I scoop it like a litterbox, stir and add some more every couple weeks.

I got this from a post by Davaroo whom I have full confidence in:
"For a brief on-topic moment, sharp sand, what we call 'play sand' is generally not recommended. It gets in their eyes and can do harm.
Now back to the frolic yippiechickie."
Several other people posted other warnings, but I don't remember who they were.

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. I will keep that in mind when I replace it in the spring. So far, I haven't had a problem with it and they seem to love it but I definitely don't want anything around that could cause a problem. Thank you for the information!

I have used play sand for my old chicks they dust in it, but I will get the other type of sand for the little chicks and the big ones.
Thanks for the Info.
That's why I posted you get so much good Info.

Jody

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom