My chicks were killed

Maybe a hawk but I honestly feel like the older hens may have done it. 1) I don't THINK a hawk would be satisfied with 1 chick and 2) would a hawk not have just carried the chick off with them?

Maybe a hawk but I honestly feel like the older hens may have done it. 1) I don't THINK a hawk would be satisfied with 1 chick and 2) would a hawk not have just carried the chick off with them?
That’s why I’m so confused. And they both were dead in 2 completely different ways. Do you think the one had a heart attack from trauma? Im just so devastated thinking about it.

So sorry that happened. That's really traumatic. I highly doubt the other chickens did it. If I'm seeing the photos correctly, it looks like it would be hard to know whether a land predator has been there or not. Many (most?) predators can climb fence like that or just walk through the wire. The gate also looks like it doesn't close all the way, but I may not be seeing that correctly in the photos. Predators are really good at finding a way in.

We use the same fencing for our birds' daytime-when-we're-at-home yard but have 3 lines of bear-strength electric to deter raccoons, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, bears, etc. from climbing in. Not sure where you live, but weasels and rats can do terrible damage and apparently attack in the day from time to time. Aerial predators are a whole other issue, and the babies might not have been savvy enough to see them coming. Probably a good idea to find a few more ways to fortify their area to keep everyone safe.

Unfortunately your set up is open to aerial attacks and anything that can crawl in (rats, snakes) or reach in (raccoons). Could be an aerial predator other than a hawk, like I've seen crows go after baby rabbits and a chick is probably an easier target than that.
We’re building a better coop ( more sustainable for cleaning and room. Next is the covered outdoor area, which I’ll be doing sooner than later now! I also put up a trail cam too

After two weeks of integration your hens did not kill them. If chickens find raw meat, like a dead chick torn open, they may eat it so you can't ignore that part, but they are not the killers.

Many predators go for the head first. That doesn't narrow the number of possible culprits that much. But looking at your photos and your description I think it was either an aerial predator or a member of the weasel family. At that time of day it was probably not an owl. It could have been an eagle but most likely a hawk. They tend to tear the head off and eat them on the spot unless they are carrying food back to babies in a nest.

Some members of the weasel family do hunt during the day, it's not just at night. They go for the head. Often they commit massacres, killing a lot of critters so they can stockpile food for another day if killing is easy. That may explain the other chick but this doesn't feel like a weasel.

Another possibility is a cat. A bobcat tends to carry the body away and hide it to finish it off later, but I could easily see a housecat doing this. Possibly feral, possibly a pet.

It's hard to explain what happened to that second chick. To me it sounds like collateral damage, just something freaky with the attack.

Hawks will rip the heads off to get to the insides. And hawks typically eat on site unless they feel threatened. I'm thinking the hawk went after the first one but missed, so went after another.

@shakin_the_trees what age are your older birds and what age are your youngers? What was the age of the two killed?
I have 10 adults ranging from 2-5 years old and had 6 babies that are 8.5 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom