My chicks won't go into their coop on their own.

Like your location, mosquitoes are really bad here too... so much so, that I dread going out at dusk for fear of being carried away!

Get some picariden spray (works great, not evil like Deet but works very well. Check it out -- I moved to it and never went back.... Very helpful to those of us that react badly to bug bites like mosquitoes and others... (or if you have someone to go in your place that they don't bother, even better!)
Not to hijack thread from OP, but have you heard of the Dynatrap? We have the acre sized one and it works great!

I'm unfamiliar with that one -- but a quick review seems to suggest that since it doesn't rely on UV as the attractant, that it might be a possible solution. Alas, they do require electric to work, so that may be a limiting factor (it is for me).... Alas, I think I'd need multiples of them too as I'm on 10 acres in basically farmland... Still... it's nice to see someone come up with something that stands a chance of working. UV lights (zappers n the like) do not attract mosquitoes. BILLIONS of moths yes, but not what we're after. Propane styles.... Not keen on having something like that running unmonitored... you know natural fear of gas fire comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing! Us countryside chickeneers need all the info available to help.

I'm unfamiliar with that one -- but a quick review seems to suggest that since it doesn't rely on UV as the attractant, that it might be a possible solution. Alas, they do require electric to work, so that may be a limiting factor (it is for me).... Alas, I think I'd need multiples of them too as I'm on 10 acres in basically farmland... Still... it's nice to see someone come up with something that stands a chance of working. UV lights (zappers n the like) do not attract mosquitoes. BILLIONS of moths yes, but not what we're after. Propane styles.... Not keen on having something like that running unmonitored... you know natural fear of gas fire comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing! Us countryside chickeneers need all the info available to help.
Oh sure no problem! We are on just a touch over an acre out in the woods with a creek close by so it's like mosquito heaven around here. It also attracts the worst offenders of all, BITING GNATS. Good Lord those are the worst!

Mine were doing the same thing. My husband suggested I was putting them up too early, so I watched them from far away as the sun started to go down, and sure enough at 9pm on the dot they marched into their house for bed. I agree with the previous posts that maybe you are just putting them up too early :)
I'll try that, it could be I'm putting them in too early. I just get nervous about predators.

It could be you let them out to early. Try keeping them in for a week so they have to roost and figure out that that is home.
I don't really think I can do that, it gets really hot out side and I fear they would bake in the coop. I did have them stay in there for a couple days because of a huge rain.

I'll try that, it could be I'm putting them in too early. I just get nervous about predators.
You can tell when they are getting ready for bed, they start making different peeps and trills. I've heard it referred to as "pillow talk". It's a different kind of peeping, you will recognize it! When they start that they will go to bed shortly after.

You can tell when they are getting ready for bed, they start making different peeps and trills. I've heard it referred to as "pillow talk". It's a different kind of peeping, you will recognize it! When they start that they will go to bed shortly after.
Ok, thanks! I will listen for it.

Back
Top Bottom