my chooks are in the composte heap!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mfranti, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mfranti

mfranti Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    hey guys,

will my chooks get sick or are they smart enough to know what to eat?

i tend to think they know whats good for them but i want to know your expert thoughts.

thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It won't hurt them at all. Plus they're helping with turning your compost.

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I am no expert, but don't assume they know whats best for them. I caught mine eating styrofoam packing peanuts once!!!!!!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:Maybe they were trying to lay shipping ready eggs.[​IMG]

5. If it is all organic, do not worry. Mine get into the horse manure piles and "sunbath"

6. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Our girls all love the compost and make it a part of their daily routine. We never have to turn it over, they do all the work. We are careful not to throw large pieces of egg shell in the compost, we don't want them getting any ideas!! [​IMG] We now bake and crush all of our spent shells and feed it back to them.

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    there is an article in country living about putting your compost in their run, so they can go thru it for you and turn it...

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    At first I thought they were dead and you had thrown them in there- LOL
    They are probably looking for bugs and wormies. Yummie protein!!

9. mfranti

mfranti Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    man! the ladies have been digging in there all morning (i just made a new pile in a new location so they must have to investigate it?)

interesting thoughts guys. thanks.

i wonder-compost heaps need the bugs and worms to do the work, right? if the chickens are in there eating all the working critters, doesn't that delay the composition?

but i do like the sound of letting the chickens help the process, if in fact that is the case.

thanks again for your comments.

m

10. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I've been using my chickens to turn my compost for years. They get all kinds of goodies and I get good compost. They scratch it apart, I rake it back into a hill. We do this over and over until we are ready to use it in the field. It works well for the compost, even though the chickens eat worms and such, it seems there is enough to go round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by