my chooks not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carol-ann, Oct 20, 2012.

1. carol-ann

carol-ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    i have 6 chooks.

a couple of weeks ago, i took them to the usual place for boarding for 8 days.

while i was away 1 of my chooks died. the farmer added another to the flock without incident

i collected them last tuesday, and since then have had no eggs at all. this is strange, because before they went away the 5 surviving chooks were all laying regulary.

they did come back to a new run. my son extended their run so that they could stretch their wings.

one of the birds is molting

any reason, do you think, why i have had no eggs at all since tuesday?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Chickens HATE!! changes of any kind. I gave a lady 4 hens , pullets from my laying stock. They all quit laying and one is molting. This is not unusual. They may wait until Spring to restart. I know thats a long time. You may want to think about adding light each am starting at 4:30 am and then it goes off at 9 am. I have a timmer on mine. It works. I usually wait until their molt is over to light the coop. I think they need that time to regroup. Gloria jean

3. carol-ann

carol-ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    ty. i wasnt sure if i should be worried or not, but i think its prolly ok?

the one that is molting looks so scrawney again hope that is normal

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    When mine start to molt I increase the protein in their diet. I give them some canned low sodium fish each wk or buy some of the gamebird showbird feed. I mix this with my leftovers and some yogurt. Their feathers come in better and it seems to me quicker. It takes loads of protein to make feathers. I give them some kind of protein 3 or 4 times a week. I guess I spoil them. [​IMG] gloria jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by