My cockerel has taken a dislike to my one year old!

Usually I keep my flock in a run in the back garden. For the first time today we let them free range in the garden but the cockerel (7 months) seems to have got it in for my daughter who's 17 months! Twice today he has run at her and pecked and pulled at her clothes. She wasn't being overly noisey or doing anything to make him defend the hens, in fact the second time she was no where near but he went for her from the other side of the garden.
Anyone know what the issue could be or how to handle this? My main priority is of course the safety of my child but I'll dispatch my cockerel only as a last resort. Suggestions?
I agree with the rest - get rid of the cockerel. He wasn't defending his hens. If you don't want to kill him yourself, find him a new home with full disclosure that he has attacked your small child. This is not going to get fixed. How long would you want to try, anyway, to fix him if your child can't go outside.

Agreed with all of the above posters. I have the utmost respect for Beekissed, and copy her excellent "rooster speak" post many times to provide good advice for folks regarding training a rooster. But, with a toddler, it's simply not worth the risk. Even without spurs, that cockerel can do some serious damage. Toddlers don't have good balance. It would take very little for him to knock her down. Then, the first thing he would do would be to go for her face and her eyes. He would go into full on attack to kill mode. In your situation, I would not even advise keeping him in a full time coop/run situation. What if he accidentally got out????
My thoughts exactly. Beekissed's advice is good for adults and older kids, but there is no way that cockerel would respect the little one. She's not old enough to train him for one thing.

Thanks everyone. I totally agree that's she's too young to show him she's dominant. I think you're right, it's not worth the risk.
For my information, is there something I could have done differently to stop him being like this in the first place or is this just his personality?

I'd also appreciate if anyone could give me some links to rehoming sites. Thanks
Are there any chicken breeders around your area? You could see if they have any interest in him. Most breeders keep their breeding stock away from other people, but I'd still include the info he doesn't like kids.
It is probably his personality. I have dozens of roosters, they are all very different. Some have tried attacking me, while others haven't even gotten within a yard of me, then there's a few who have the sweetest personalities.
I know everyone always jumps to "kill him!", but there are always options where he can live out his life AWAY from kids he could hurt, and you have peace of mind knowing he isn't being slaughtered.

There is a forum here on BYC where you can post an ad for rehoming. :)

Thanks HuskerHens18, that's really helpful

Also, update your personal page to reflect your area. If somebody from your area knew of a resource to help you, we don't know as we don't know where you are.

ETA... also, I agree with the above and support your decision. There's not much your going to be able to do for this guy, and your doing the right thing by finding him a new home. Just make sure the new owners are aware of his personality so they can work on retraining right away.

Also, update your personal page to reflect your area. If somebody from your area knew of a resource to help you, we don't know as we don't know where you are.

ETA... also, I agree with the above and support your decision. There's not much your going to be able to do for this guy, and your doing the right thing by finding him a new home. Just make sure the new owners are aware of his personality so they can work on retraining right away.

Thank you, good tip, done!

Back
Top Bottom