My cockerel is ornery in the morning

if you want to keep a rooster it takes some very careful tact to get him on your side .. the worst mistake is physically punishing him or yelling at him .. the other chickens see it and it just makes 'you' the bad guy from then on .. it takes 'forced love' lol ... you need to regulate him and food is the best way .. for that your going to have to seperate him from the rest of the flock and get him hungry enough thats his focus ... then the only way he eats is by you getting ahold of him gently without scaring the others and holding him under your arm and hand feeding him .. if he's young he'll get it within a couple of times although he isnt going to like it per-se lol ... an older rooster this method may not work on never tried it .. the younger you get him on your program the better your results will be .. after that intial 'break in' to teach him how you control his food, at least HE needs to be on a controlled food program .. personally i wouldnt let him in the hen house either, i would make him a seperate place and he gets fed seperate from the others and you can add other conditions you want as well, if he's competing with you on what you want the girls to do, or kicks you or anything you dont like .. that wont fly and he either goes under your arm gently or skips dinner .. he'll get it fast lol .. my last rooster i had trained so well he 'made' the girls go up when it was time to lock up in the evening because he gets fed after that. like that, its surprising how they can communicate, its ashame he got nailed by a big blackhawk couple months back, was a big loss to me, he really helped out .. so that strategy is what has worked for me, maybe you can variate it to apply to your situation and hopefully get some positive results .. main thing is dont use physical force or scare them THAT doesnt work .. ever ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom