My cockerel just tried to flog me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LittleLady98, May 31, 2011.

1. I have NEVER had ANY of my cockerels try to flog me before!!!! He is a repeated offender, but he mostly just trys to peck us. And just for pecking he gets chased. He ought to know better! I knocked the perch down when chasing him in the grow-out pen for pecking me when I was trying to get the pullet out of there. He is obviously trying to be top chicken in the flock, but he KNOWS that I will chase him until I take a feather from him AND run him into a corner, pin him to the ground, and keep him there until he stops fighting. And that is just for pecking. I took 5 feathers this time!!! Good thing for him he doesn't have any spurs!!! Or I'd be having chicken alfredo.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i have had sooo many roosters in the last 2 years that i have had to send to freezer camp because of this reason .. i have found the perfect roo now hopefully i wont have any more that like to flog! [​IMG]

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Can I ask how old this roo is?
    I am having trouble with mine and he is only about 8-9 weeks old... Mean as Krout...
    Never heard about pulling feathers out... does this work? I am so non violent, but I have to do something.

Someone else suggested the picking up til he quits struggling, put down, repeat.
    Another mentioned a water gun.

I am thinking the water gun will be easier... I am a pretty good shot at cans.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:It is refreshing to see more people doing what needs to done to quell the mean rooster rebellion, I like your salt. I am not saying you do this but the problem most likely arises when women play huggy pie kissey poo with very young roo's and as they grow it becomes a problem most of them cannot handle or get control of. WTS I have had a roo or two who turned bad some were corrected and became good roo's and some didn't and they got the axe. Keep I never handle birds unless they require it for inspection or medical issues, this has worked wonders in having a flock that get's along just fine.

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I JUST HAVE TO ASK....................IS HE A BANTAM ROO?????? cause they seem to have the MOST attitude! ha! My golden laced sebright roos will beat a RIR in a heartbeat.....so FUNNY! (no, I don't LET them fight......but I have seen them start more than a few times!)

PLEASE don't pull out his feathers....OMG where did you hear that from???????? That's animal cruelty!

I just chase mine (Sebrights) and remind them I'm the boss and the one with the treats....they've gotten better as they have gotten older.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! I'm feeling better about my little cockerels now - they've never gotten "cocky" with me.

7. Quote:He is about 18 weeks. If my 8 week old cockerel were to try to flog me I would sell him just that early. I use what has worked for me, I would suggest trying whatever you would be able to get the best shot at the roo with.

8. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Pulling out feathers is how chickens establish dominance with each other (it IS horrible). But I reckon that it's worth a go - she's trying to same him from the freezer after all! My roo is soooo placid and he's a bantam roo! He's a sweetheart. [​IMG] So I've never had that problem. He doesn't even have spurs (I have no idea why).

9. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I wouldn't imagine a water gun working on a flogging roo. I had one flogging roo and when he came after you, a second roo would come join in. They died moments later. I'll be darn if one roo flogs me and I get hit with a second while I'm bent over washing out their water bucket. Right now I've got one that's trying to be bad and act like he's going to come after us. I hadn't heard about pulling feathers...

10. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I don't have any roos trying to flog me but I have 2 7 week ogeb's that fight each other.Normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by