My coop and run - took 2 months to complete but finally.......

really like the coop, plenty of room and they have a screen door to boot
ya.gif

The Barn has been there for 20 yrs,used to house all my Arabians, I converted two old horse stalls, demo'd them and rebuilt. Now the building is pretty much a storage and shop area with one corner chicken coop. I wasn't able to give them the free range opportunities as I dont trust the coyotes in the area much...or the neighbors dog, so I made the run as big as I could so they would almost get the effect of free ranging. They have a few little trees and tons of grass. They have been loving it. I go in to feed them in the morning and I get the rush to the door...."hurry up....let us out!!!"

The screen door just sort of happened, was at Menards shopping for wood for the building and they had these basic wood screen doors on sale for 14.98, I had the idea and we installed it and then I added hardware cloth so on those really hot nights I can leave the door open and know the chicks are protected for the night. I havent really had to do that yet though. I keep a thermometer inside and the coop is insulated and even when its been in the mid 90's and humid its sticking around 85 inside. The inside door of the coop also has a screen window for circulation(my dad built that) its got hardward cloth also on the opening. Works great for air.

I still have to build the roost and nesting boxes but that will have to wait as the fence took alot of time. 2 full days plus after work for 4. We have a wedding in our back yard on the 7th to get the yard ready for and its not even my wedding....darn!!!!

Quote:
That's soo funny. I also get that rush in the a.m.!
lol.png

Although I am building them a little tractor as they are getting into the garden a bit too much.

Back
Top Bottom