My coop build

I thought I would post a pic of the inside with the roost scheme I finally decided on. There is well over 30' (not including the shelf in front of the nest boxes) of roost space, plenty for our 10 birds (and a few future additions to the flock).
wink.png
None of the roosts are over one another to prevent pooping on each other. Since the floor of the coop is open mesh to facilitate droppings to fall through, no droppings boards are used. You really can't see the top most roosts they are in the tremendous space that would be an attic in a house. I put them up there since the chickens like to roost high. As you can see I put ladders for the chickens, since most likely wings will be clipped. Also no roosts are attached from the bottom leaving the entire floor open. This was done so in winter it will be easy to cover the floor if needed. Covering the floor will be a simple matter, I purchased a 1/2" thick roll out rubber truck bed liner from Tractor Supply Company. The beauty of the bed liner is it is the perfect size to cover the chicken floor (48x96), as well as being easily cleaned. It can also be easily removed, rolled up and stored when not in use. It should also provide enough insulation for the floor for our very mild winters. The truck bed liner cost only $30, not too bad!

2853980090_7898bb3b69.jpg

I have seen hundreds of coops built in this forum, and this by far is the best really!!!!. it has everything, function, ease of use, strong, portable, and very very easy on the eyes. I commend you on a job well done, as a builder by trade i like the idea of many long hours laboring over designs, changes, materials, and the building process. I just love the therapy it gives me to sweat over a project like this with a huge grin on my face the whole time, not to mention i just might get a smooch on the lips, thank god for chickens.

Great great job!!!!
AL

Thanks everyone!
al6517 - I too enjoy laboring over the details of projects, from planning till the end. I sure do like the smooches at the end too
wink.png

I realize that you built this several years ago, but I wonder if you have plans and/or materials list available for a fellow Arkansan? We are senior citizens in the north central part of the state, and want to start raising chickens for both eggs and meat on our 2 acres plot. Thanks!

You built a BEAUTIFUL Coop! it's so awesome, I'm going to copy it! I have a couple of questions (if you don't mind)

1. i see wire mesh on the floor, do you ever have problems with predators catching a chicken on the floor by surprise? Usually the predators come at night and the chickens will roost up high. But I have two that like to roost in their sandbox!

2. What size mesh do you use?

3. Do you have any pictures of the roosts? The interior of the Coop when it was completely finished? That would help so much!

4. My son has asked me for plans. He's going to build this for me, or something like it, for mother's day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom