My Coop..built by a pro carpenter!

There are two vents at the north south roof, three windows, a half screen door and the chicken door. I’ll do a test this winter, if it needs any additional, I’ll install some sort of small automatic venting fan..
Ok. General rule is one square foot of permanent ventilation per bird, even in the winter. I made the mistake of insulating mine, thinking at -40f they would need it. In reality, the insulation was wasted because they needed dry air more than warm air. You don't want them to trap their body heat in the coop because that also means moisture is trapped with them.

Ok. General rule is one square foot of permanent ventilation per bird, even in the winter. I made the mistake of insulating mine, thinking at -40f they would need it. In reality, the insulation was wasted because they needed dry air more than warm air. You don't want them to trap their body heat in the coop because that also means moisture is trapped with them.
No worries here..our winters have single digit humidity. I can also install a fan to vent humid air, there are automatic ones that respond to hygrometer..

Actually, that’s not quite right..it’s better to figure how many sq tf is needed per sq ft of coop space, not per bird. Per Meyer Hatchery..

How Much Coop Ventilation is Needed?​

Opening your coop door(s) every day provides some ventilation, but not enough. How much is needed? More than you’d think! In warm weather climates, the general rule of thumb is 1 square foot of ventilation per 10 square feet of coop floor space. In cold climates, all open vents should be well above your bird’s highest roosting point and under a cover so snow cannot get in.

(and in cold climates, less. The air is extremely dry..)

Actually, that’s not quite right..it’s better to figure how many sq tf is needed per sq ft of coop space, not per bird. Per Meyer Hatchery..

How Much Coop Ventilation is Needed?​

Opening your coop door(s) every day provides some ventilation, but not enough. How much is needed? More than you’d think! In warm weather climates, the general rule of thumb is 1 square foot of ventilation per 10 square feet of coop floor space. In cold climates, all open vents should be well above your bird’s highest roosting point and under a cover so snow cannot get in.

(and in cold climates, less. The air is extremely dry..)

The rule is 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen or 1 square foot per 10 square feet of building whichever is larger.

Since most backyard chicken keepers give each chicken 4 square feet in the coop, the 1 square foot per bird is always the larger number so we usually drop the second half of the recommendation so as to reduce confusion.

The most accurate way to check the adequacy of the ventilation is to make sure that the temperature and humidity is the same inside as out. Many people find that they need far more than the minimums to achieve this.

The rule is 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen or 1 square foot per 10 square feet of building whichever is larger.

Since most backyard chicken keepers give each chicken 4 square feet in the coop, the 1 square foot per bird is always the larger number so we usually drop the second half of the recommendation so as to reduce confusion.

The most accurate way to check the adequacy of the ventilation is to make sure that the temperature and humidity is the same inside as out. Many people find that they need far more than the minimums to achieve this.
Well, I don’t want to argue, but, I’m not going to let my coop be 3 degrees F in the winter..nor is single digit humidity good for the respiratory tract of birds or humans. In a sixty sq ft coop, with 15 birds, 15 sq ft is far too much ventilation in a cold climate. Six square feet is plenty.

Everyone has an opinion..here’s yet another website..
Chicken coops need much less ventilation during the cold months than during the warm months. A chicken coop needs about 3-4 square feet of ventilation (including the pop door) in cold weather, and as much additional ventilation as possible in hot weather, typically in the form of windows, vents, and doors that can be opened when needed.”

Well, I don’t want to argue, but, I’m not going to let my coop be 3 degrees F in the winter..nor is single digit humidity good for the respiratory tract of birds or humans. In a sixty sq ft coop, with 15 birds, 15 sq ft is far too much ventilation in a cold climate. Six square feet is plenty.

Everyone has an opinion..here’s yet another website..
Chicken coops need much less ventilation during the cold months than during the warm months. A chicken coop needs about 3-4 square feet of ventilation (including the pop door) in cold weather, and as much additional ventilation as possible in hot weather, typically in the form of windows, vents, and doors that can be opened when needed.”

Chickens have extremely delicate respiratory systems that are highly vulnerable to poor air quality.

You will find this article informative in re: the needs of chickens in cold climates. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Chickens have extremely delicate respiratory systems that are highly vulnerable to poor air quality.

You will find this article informative in re: the needs of chickens in cold climates. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
You can’t give hard numbers without knowing a specific coop design. I’d rather see ventilation recommendations based on relative humidity of the inside vs outside, like, if it rises to X percent above the exterior, or over a certain known quantity, or a combination of parameters. Here, I have to simmer water on the stove constantly in winter just to get the house up to thirty percent..you can’t even sleep if the humidity goes too low..

This article, while well intentioned and having some good advice, is still anecdotal. There’s a difference between anecdotal evidence, and scientific evidence. An article supporting a viewpoint written by..another random chicken keeper is still not scientific evidence. Here is more of yet another random source..

Chicken coops need much less ventilation during the cold months than during the warm months. A chicken coop needs about 3-4 square feet of ventilation (including the pop door) in cold weather, and as much additional ventilation as possible in hot weather, typically in the form of windows, vents, and doors that can be opened when needed.

Figuring out how much ventilation you really need can be tough for newbie chicken keepers. There’s no hard and fast rule (despite what you might read elsewhere)—it truly can vary.

Most ventilation estimates you find give a number so high there’s no possible way you could ventilate that much without creating dangerous winter drafts in your coop.”

That's a great size and the exterior is lovely!

Looking good so far but I want to share my BIGGEST regret in building a large coop: I didn't install an exhaust fan!!! Now is your chance to add it. It does wonders for maintaining a safe summer time temp and drawing out dirty dusty air.

Also, what is the game plan for those poop boards? is the poop just supposed to slide into the floor? Just wondering.

Edited to add: because I didn't add a proper exhaust fan, I have a box fan in a window to draw out air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom