My Coop..built by a pro carpenter!

Most ventilation estimates you find give a number so high there’s no possible way you could ventilate that much without creating dangerous winter drafts in your coop.”

Drafts are easily prevented with good design.

This is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle is the same.

natural-ventilation.png

One of the reasons why those prefab dollhouse coops are so awful is that they're impossible to ventilate correctly.

That's a great size and the exterior is lovely!

Looking good so far but I want to share my BIGGEST regret in building a large coop, I didn't install an exhaust fan!!! Now is your chance to add it. It does wonders for maintaining a safe summer time temp and drawing out dirty dusty air.

Also, what is the game plan for those poop boards? is the poop just supposed to slide into the floor? Just wondering.
Funny question that reveals my beginner-ness..! My thinking was that I wanted to discourage any nesting or roosting or lounging about on the poop boards, minimizing poopy feet. These pics are several months old, my ladies have been occupying the coop for quite a while. I discovered it’s far better to throw the hemp/shavings mix up onto the boards to absorb the cecal poops. Although, it’s so dry here they’re all dessicated by morning, it was too tough to scrape them off. Having the litter up on the boards and seams it is much easier to just pick up the poops with a drywall spatula. A benefit to the slight slant is that in addition to a couple cinderblocks it makes it easier for the gals to jump up to the roost area, and travel underneath when searching for a spot to roost..not much poop escapes, especially with litter on the boards..!

That's a great size and the exterior is lovely!

Looking good so far but I want to share my BIGGEST regret in building a large coop: I didn't install an exhaust fan!!! Now is your chance to add it. It does wonders for maintaining a safe summer time temp and drawing out dirty dusty air.

Also, what is the game plan for those poop boards? is the poop just supposed to slide into the floor? Just wondering.

Edited to add: because I didn't add a proper exhaust fan, I have a box fan in a window to draw out air.
I forgot to say, I’ve seen quite a few fans on Amazon that have a hygrometer..you can set them to vent at a certain humidity..couldn’t you retrofit one?

I forgot to say, I’ve seen quite a few fans on Amazon that have a hygrometer..you can set them to vent at a certain humidity..couldn’t you retrofit one?
I wouldn't have a choice but to retro fit, but it would have been far easier to install during the build than after. My coop is insulated and has wall paneling, so gotta cut through some stuff. One day I'll go back and retrofit, but it is doubtful it'll happen any time soon. Id love one with a hygrometer because this spring, humidity levels are outrageously high.

I wouldn't have a choice but to retro fit, but it would have been far easier to install during the build than after. My coop is insulated and has wall paneling, so gotta cut through some stuff. One day I'll go back and retrofit, but it is doubtful it'll happen any time soon. Id love one with a hygrometer because this spring, humidity levels are outrageously high.
Maybe fit the fan to exhaust through an existing window..see if that’s enough, then if not you could cut later..

Drafts are easily prevented with good design.

This is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle is the same.

View attachment 2785358

One of the reasons why those prefab dollhouse coops are so awful is that they're impossible to ventilate correctly.
Yes..looking back I would have loved a small, functional cupola, but, I’m lucky to have what I do..I’ll make it work. That’s also why I wanted electricity run to the coop, just for the flexibility of having it available. Maybe a cupola could be added later..the Honeywell portable swamp cooler works fantastically to cool the coop from about noon till eight at night when I turn it off..although, I’m pretty sure they don’t like the fan running, so, I’m hoping for fast walnut tree growth to shade the whole darn thing..!

Yes..looking back I would have loved a small, functional cupola, but, I’m lucky to have what I do..I’ll make it work. That’s also why I wanted electricity run to the coop, just for the flexibility of having it available. Maybe a cupola could be added later..the Honeywell portable swamp cooler works fantastically to cool the coop from about noon till eight at night when I turn it off..although, I’m pretty sure they don’t like the fan running, so, I’m hoping for fast walnut tree growth to shade the whole darn thing..!

This shed conversion includes retrofitting a monitor onto the roof.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Here’s one that’s inexpensive..
https://smile.amazon.com/AC-Infinit...1&keywords=exhaust+fan&qid=1628091158&sr=8-68

Back
Top Bottom