My Coop Design (and a question or two)

Soltaria

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
General Ft. Worth Area, Tx

Here's my coop almost complete but still usable. We still need to shingle it, paint a few things, and build egg boxes.

Here's an inside view from the latched door over the egg boxes.

And a view from the front door.

Here in Texas the weather gets blisteringly hot so I made sure there is plenty of ventilation. The back is walled off so that if they need it they will have shelter from the wind. It's roughly 3ft x 6 ft back there.
My question is, is that enough wind shelter for them? It really doesn't get very windy here unless we're getting a tornado and those never seem to happen in the winter. Also, Texas' idea of winter wouldn't even pass for fall in a lot of places.
Are there any glaring flaws you can see in this design? Or any ways you might make it better? It's my first time designing and building a coop and a more experienced eye for this would be much appreciated.

I personally don't see anything wrong with this design, plenty of shade and ventilation. I wouldn't be to concerned with wind, just so they have a spot where they can get out of it. Here in N. Dakota the wind never stops blowing and the girls are usually out in it.

Here's another question I just thought of. We are planning to build the nest boxes to be 1ftx 1ft. Is this going to be big enough for the girls?
My breeds are Wyandottes, Barnevelders, Sex Links, a Production Red, a Delaware, and I plan to get Jersey Giants, Bielefelders, and Brahmas as well later. I know quite a few of those breeds get pretty sizable.

I think that should work great! My nest boxes are close to that, like 11" x 11" I think is what they came out to. My big brahma girls fit just right
smile.png

Are the nest boxes separated? Chickens don't need a ton of boxes, as they will favor a few. 3 or 4 boxes for 10 chickens is more than enough. Also, you are going to need to do something when it gets windy, because they will catch a very bad draft in the winter.

I would say 4 chickens per nest box. But with my own hens, they seem to all prefer the same two nest boxes, so they either double up or wait in line for those super special nest boxes.
roll.png

When we put them in they will all be lined up in the back enclosed section. There will be 6 back there. The possibility of wind does concern me. I'm wondering if maybe it would be better to have a larger enclosed area for them.

ETA: It will be 6 egg boxes for 28 chickens, so far 5 are confirmed roos and possibly a few more.

Last edited:
Yea, any form of enclosed area would have worked. You can still make the adjustment when the time is right. The design is very nice ( a little low which makes it tough to work in) but it works well. I would just try and figure out how to make an enclosed area for the birds. Both the privacy and protection will be great.

Back
Top Bottom