My coop design and build blog

I went to the local True Value hardware for the new little protein makers. The owner is a chicken person so he selects eggers for sale.

I thought they were very over crowded in the stores brooder so the 24 I hand picked dont know what to do with all the extra room in their new brooder. They now have about 4 times the space they were in.

I got 8 Ameraucana (they lay blue eggs) and hopefully equal numbers of Barred Rock and Black Star (both brown egg layers) but since the two chicks look so much alike, I struggled to tell them apart. All are supposed to be docile so they should be good around the grand kids.

They are about a week and half old. Perhaps eggs by September. We will keep around 8 to 10 over winter. Sell or Eat the rest. They are not going to be big roasters but rather dual purpose birds on the small side. A good first year batch to raise.
IMG_7909.JPG

Last edited:
A sunshine day. The mud is back. But we got more work done around the coop and run today. The chicks enjoyed my homemade roosting bars so much, I made them more for the brooder.

Now some will want to say "You need pine shavings and not newspaper with young chicks in a brooder" I helped raise the first set of chicks on our farm 50 years ago and it was ALWAYS on newspaper. We never had leg problems. Our farm raised 100 birds a year as well as swine, beef, rabbits and pheasants. I know you think you are being helpful but the number of birthday candles on my cake requires a fire permit. Newspaper is fine in the brooder as proven over and over.

mesh1.jpg
mesh2.jpg
mesh3.jpg
mesh4.jpg
mesh4.jpg
mesh5.jpg
mesh6.jpg
mesh7.JPG

Attachments

• mesh5.jpg
    mesh5.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 2
  • mesh1.jpg
    mesh1.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 2
I misspelled it when I joined and I dont know if I can change it. Its supposed to be "Rancid Crabtree" a character from the Patrick McManus books.
That's how I always read it, despite the missing 'a'.
Ask a moderator, they might be able/willing to fix it.

I held off on using wood shaving under the chicks in the brooder but now they are over 2 weeks old so we added wood shavings. Under normal circumstances, this means a feeder and waterer full of pine shavings and a real mess because these little buggers kick and scratch and throw shavings everywhere..

To avoid this I built an elevated mesh platform so no shavings can be scratched or kicked into the food/water. Its been 8 hours and its working as expected.

The water looks orange because of the probiotic and electrolyte packets I mix with their water.

feeder1.jpg
feeder2.jpg
feeder3.jpg
feeder4.jpg
feeder5.jpg

feeder6.jpg

Attachments

• feeder1.jpg
    feeder1.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I held off on using wood shaving under the chicks in the brooder but now they are over 2 weeks old so we added wood shavings. Under normal circumstances, this means a feeder and waterer full of pine shavings and a real mess because these little buggers kick and scratch and throw shavings everywhere..

To avoid this I built an elevated mesh platform so no shavings can be scratched or kicked into the food/water. Its been 8 hours and its working as expected.

The water looks orange because of the probiotic and electrolyte packets I mix with their water.

View attachment 3795939View attachment 3795940View attachment 3795941View attachment 3795942View attachment 3795943
Ohhh stealing this idea! That is great!

Back
Top Bottom