my coop evolution over the last year

Racsan

Chirping
Oct 20, 2023
central ohio
My Coop
My Coop
We have had our chickens now for about a year & a half, started out with a basic tsc coop we found used on marketplace, we then found a 4’ high kennel for a yard area for it, then I got a 12x12 kennel as a attachment and used the smaller kennel as roof panels , then tarped it up for winter. I knew then I needed a dedicated chicken building and began on plans for that. In march I bought more chicks, we started with 6 , 1 died around february and the new batch one died after the first night, I dont think I had enough heat for them and they piled on each other. So now we are at 10. My construction started late april and mid september I moved the chickens to the new building. After the move I took the kennels down and made them into a run. The original tsc coop is on a trailer, saving it for my grandson as my daughter wants him to do a chicken 4H project. Heres how my housing has changed over the past year.
l Started my chickens in a small metal water trough, exactly like youd see tsc/rural king use. I created a flickr album for all these pictures, its a little out of order, was easier than trying to post each picture from my phone, link—> https://www.flickr.com/gp/154582078@N03/5437726j17

We have had our chickens now for about a year & a half, started out with a basic tsc coop we found used on marketplace, we then found a 4’ high kennel for a yard area for it, then I got a 12x12 kennel as a attachment and used the smaller kennel as roof panels , then tarped it up for winter. I knew then I needed a dedicated chicken building and began on plans for that. In march I bought more chicks, we started with 6 , 1 died around february and the new batch one died after the first night, I dont think I had enough heat for them and they piled on each other. So now we are at 10. My construction started late april and mid september I moved the chickens to the new building. After the move I took the kennels down and made them into a run. The original tsc coop is on a trailer, saving it for my grandson as my daughter wants him to do a chicken 4H project. Heres how my housing has changed over the past year.
l Started my chickens in a small metal water trough, exactly like youd see tsc/rural king use. I created a flickr album for all these pictures, its a little out of order, was easier than trying to post each picture from my phone, link—> https://www.flickr.com/gp/154582078@N03/5437726j17
That's awesome! It's nice to grow the coop. I did almost the exact same thing, starting out with a TSC coop and then getting a larger kennel. (I also used a trough too 😁 )
Your chickens are awesome, and I bet it's really fun.

Agreed. I like reading what others have done. I also started with a Tractor Supply coop. A possum got to one of the pullets -- my little Betty. Thereafter we got another five chicks. The first four older girls tended to pick on the newcomers, so I bought a little, decrepit coop from a fellow on Facebook Marketplace, and set about enlarging it. The new girls manage well, but they are crowded. So, I'm removing that hutch and replacing it with a two-story version. The nests are "upstairs" and the "lounge" is downstairs. Below that is the chicken run. Incorporated into my design is a cabinet for feed storage. The runs on both coops are interconnected with a sliding hardware cloth panel. Now that the girls are all more or less the same size, they older ones don't bother the little girls. In fact, tonight I noticed one of the younger ones sleeping with the older girls in their hutch. I made a paper model of my concept; hope to start the build next week -- after expected rainstorms. Here are the pics. (Note: run is not shown. Neither is the other coop.
IMG_3259.jpeg
IMG_3261.jpeg
IMG_3260.jpeg

So, I'm removing that hutch and replacing it with a two-story version. The nests are "upstairs" and the "lounge" is downstairs. Below that is the chicken run. Incorporated into my design is a cabinet for feed storage.
Your little model is super cute but I'm having a hard time figuring out how a 3 story coop would work. Like where are the roosts if the top is nests? Do you have maybe a drawing on graph paper with measurements? If this is meant to be close to proper scale, the small ramp is way too steep to be usable, for example.

Good points! Roosts will be over the slide-out tray. I may also erect roosts in the head-space above the run. Access to the upper floor -- nesting area --- is by a ladder, not a cleated ramp. The rise is 18" and the run is about 29" so the angle is about 31 degrees. Should be easy for my girls to gain access. I'll send pix of the completed structure when available.

Back
Top Bottom