My coop idea: run under deck

CptCluck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Indianapolis
What do you think of this idea:

We're about to get 5 hens. Out back we have a pretty large wood deck that sits about 3' off the ground. I am thinking about walling it up with some wire and making it a "run for when we want to keep them out of the yard." I am thinking of making a smallish moveable coop that will sit right beside the deck, with two entrances, one in back to let them run and eat the bugs under the deck, and another door to let them out into the yard.

No grass grows under there, but it's bug city... earwigs, ants, spiders, you name it. Good idea or not?

Further thought:

Potential cons:
I could never move it, or clean it.
Would it cause a smell so near the house?
I'd have to lock them out and away when I stain the deck.

Pros:
It doesn't get much water, so mud is not an issue.

I'd be concerned about it smelling if they were only under the deck, also lack of sun, and any enjoyment of watching them. Also , what if they decide that is a good place to lay eggs, can you get the eggs out?

Have you ever thought of building a chicken tractor that you can move around your yard? That way they can eat the bugs out of your lawn while they fertilize at the same time. The only con is that you will need to move it often or they will destroy the lawn. I built one for 3 hens...the only thing I do not like about it is that it is a little on the heavy side which makes it tough to move....you can see a picture of it at the below link

Chicken tractor
http://myattemptatgardening.blogspot.com/p/chicken-tractor.html

I see the main issue being the inability to get under there to clean up or spread sand our straw to control odor. Eventually even a few birds will cover the area with poo and it WILL stink especially with no sun to dry it. Then you will have to crawl through a solid layer of droppings to clean them out our cover them. Not to mention having to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom