My Coop Idea

jason

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
New member here...

I have an 8'x8' wooden "clubhouse" I built for my daughter that she doesn't use any longer. I plan on attaching to this a 6'x10' dog kennel (previously used as a temporary coop) so that they have both the indoor comfort and a "play yard." The dog kennel will have 1/2" wire around the edges and underneath the ground to prevent predators.

The building will have windows (plexiglass most likely). The wooden floor I will cover with sand (not sure how much is needed though).

A wooden locker in the coop will store the food and other items. Nest boxes will be accessible from the outside to minimize entry into the coop. Roosts will be placed inside the coop as well between the locker and one of the walls.

I plan to insulate the walls if I can obtain some free or cheap insulation. The roof of the coop will have a ridge vent and two vents on opposite upper walls will be used to help ventilate as well.

As I get this together, I'll take pictures and post them.

I'm interested in any thoughts, ideas, warnings, etc.

How wonderful! I also have a 8x8 playhouse someone gave me that I have converted into a coop. It works great. I am curious as to why you are putting sand over a wood floor. I use shavings and it works great.

I've just seen that many people have recommended sand.

I am not committed to sand. I guess I'm not entirely sure the pros and cons of sand, straw, and shavings.

Sand did seem to be the easiest solution and perhaps the cheapest in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom