my coop in progress *** MORE PICS***

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
We started planning the new coop in the spring for a fall project, so i started placing ads on craigs list and freecycle for building materials.

so far to date I have gotten for free:
2X4's unlimited amount, there is a roofing company down the street from me that installs the steel roofing, well their supplies come on skids that are 4 - 2X4's 9 ft long and 2 - 4X4's 3 ft long, do I called them and asked them if i can have them the owner said sure saves mt from throwing them in the dumpster,
ep.gif
so i go down in my trusty lil mazda and pick these things up with dh and he takes them appart and uses they 4X4's as fire wood and has done all the framing and roofing with the 2X4's

shingles, I was at the habitat for humanity store and asked the manager if he had mix matched shingles that were no selling that he wanted to get rid of, he walked out to the back and covered with a tarp was about 8 bundles of shingles that no one wanted cause they mismatched and offered him a $10 donation for them he said if i take them it will save him from storing them
ep.gif

i posted an ad on freecycle for building materials a gentleman replied that he was a contractor and was doing renovations and had a few bundles on insulation come and get them...lol

i had to pay for a bit of the lumber $380 worth but my new coop is going to be huge 12 feet X 10 feet the chickens ae going to be so happy
yippiechickie.gif

i also got a 5 gallon pail of exterrior solid stain for $30 cause it was a mistint...

i am going to post pictures as I go here are a few to start you off

this is the old coop and you can see some of the framing for the new ont to the left
13904_dsc03881.jpg

destruction
13904_dsc03884.jpg

site inspectors
13904_dsc03885.jpg

all gone
13904_dsc03891.jpg

here is the floor being built *** note to self... next time we built a floor thats to heavy to be lifted and needs to rolled on rollers... measure the distance between the trees ...you see the 2 trees straight ahead... they are just under 11 feet apart... my coop floor is 10 feet tight fit..
13904_dsc03882.jpg

here is floor before stain, you can my silkie tractor in the background the silkies will be moved into the new coop
13904_dsc03883.jpg

floor in place, framing, and 1 wall
13904_dsc03893.jpg

impatient new residents
13904_dsc03898.jpg

13904_dsc03899.jpg

the walls are up doors are on but i still need to do the insides but everybody is all moved in
13904_dsc03900.jpg

still have to paint one door
13904_dsc03901.jpg

run is done all the wire is secured, 5feet tall
13904_dsc03902.jpg

we were only going to make the run 4 feet tall but as we were talking about it someone paid a visit... opps run needs to be taller...lol DH is 6'4"
13904_dsc03890.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i am hoping to finish the coop this weekend and have a move in party for the chickens all their faves watermelon and crickets on the menu lol..\\

i will post more as the build happens and the finished product

Back
Top Bottom