Chirping
May 28, 2016
Kingston Ontario
KZ2r0lT.jpg

cXLpOeB.jpg

P534b1k.jpg

vOwui8U.jpg

Lovely!

I'd second ventilation, but I'm thinking you may get dirty nest boxes. They may tend to sit on top of the nest boxing, pooping down, then kicking it all in with them :(

Agree with this. Remove that "shelf" above the nesting boxes, then also slightly extend the walls of each nest forward.

I wish I had that much room to work with!

TWG

Great coop. As for the ventilation have you considered a ridge vent? Can buy just enough at home depot. Or even a roll from ebay.

Also you can use hardware cloth to make some open air sections by atraching the hardware cloth in the inside studs leaving room for panels to cover the openings on the outside during wet/winter conditions.

See my coop in my profile if you like for some ideas. Im in the hot south so left large sections open for air but built it so i can cover the openings with panels come winter or in the case of prolonged rain.

You will know if you have ventalition issues when the smell of ammonia builds up.

Anyhow great coop you went all out.

Agree on the ventilation. Depending on how they are setup, they will also let in more light during the day. Unless I'm missing something, the roosts for the chickens are set very low. They prefer to be higher up.

Rich I see your up in Canada so you will have cold and longer winters to deal with. Its just my opinion that a ridge vent may be the way to go as your birds wont be in scorching hot weather.

I know it stinks when you get all finished with a perfect coop and someone tells you to get the tools back out and modify something.

However a ridge vent is not that big a deal. A ladder and a saws-all is really all you need.

I on the other hand am battling 95 degree temps so open air was a must. Being in a cooler climate i think a ridge vent would be just what you need and the easiest way to go. Also they are cheap .

Again great coop you did a good job and your birds are lucky as they have a great home. I also see you insulated it so winters wont be so harsh.

WOW!! Impressive coop! Love all the room you have, all I can tell you is trial and error, venilation is a must, especially at night, I have a screen door with wire that stays open so air can get through at night, but you will see what works and what doesn't and you adjust from there!!

Back
Top Bottom