My Coop Progress Photos ( pic heavy) (update finally finished the run)

Carolina Chicken Man

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I wanted to show the progress of my coop. I scanned these pages for days looking a simple economic design. It is loosely based on Denali's temporary coop. I did not have the material on hand that they had. I think I will have about $400 total when I buy the wire for the run.

Last edited:
Please do
smile.png

I wait...
fl.gif

DSC01069.jpg

DSC01075-1.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

chickenpic002.jpg

chickenpic005.jpg

chickenpic004.jpg

I just finished putting the corner trim on, and treated wood around the bottom.
As far as the coop is concerned, I just need to finish all of the trim, build a door and cut in a couple of windows. We've been in the middle of a drought, and of course when I started this it rained every day. ( Still thankful though) I should have the coop itself finished this weekend, and then I will continue with the run. I've got 10 buff orpington chicks that are outgrowing their space in my garage.

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png

Those pics give me good ideas how I want my coop to be like.
Looks like your chicken will have comfortable summer there.
Are you thinking about putting some kind of guard around the run to protect the birds from predators?
I'm in South Carolina, so I thought we may have same wild animals to worry about.

Looking forward to see the finished chicken heaven
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Yeah, don't know exactly how yet. I have seen foxes and possums in the yard. Haven't seen a racoon yet. When I was out working the other evening, a hawk landed in the tree right by the coop. It was almost like he knew what I was working on.

Last edited:
Congrats on the coop completion!
yippiechickie.gif

How are the girls enjoying their new house??

I like the way you extended the roof partially covering the run. We want to build one also and looking around for good layout ideas.

Thanks for sharing!
lol.png

Quote:
They are enjoying it, and my garage is starting to smell better!!

I looked on this site for several days and kind of created a hybrid from different ideas.
I had to buy most of the material new, and I think I will have about $450 when I buy the fence for the run. It took 3 weekends, but I only got the posts set the first weekend because of rain. I also did most of it by myself, wife helped when I absolutely couldn't hold something a nail. I think if you had good weather and two people, you could do the whole coop in a weekend.

Somebody pointed out that maybe I should not have sloped my roof into the run area, it will make it muddy. Probably a good idea, but too late now. I had the wooded area partially cleared, and the contractor used one of those big grinders to grind up the trees, so I have about 4 dump truck loads of mulch. I'll be able to keep the run from getting muddy.

Last edited:
That looks great! Congratulations on the coop, and the new additions to the coop! We live in a small town, so can only have a small number of birds, but when we move to an acreage, hopefully in the next 18 months, we want orpingtons! They are beautiful, docile birds, from the evidence I see here on this site!

Right now we have 2 mutts our broody hen hatched out (fertilized eggs from a friend, as we can't have a roo) (the broody hen, a silkie died of a crop infection, my favorite bird, of course) and 2 mille fleurs...so far the mutts do the egg laying and the mille fleurs just wander around and look good...and eat and poop~

Tanya

Back
Top Bottom