My coop, run, and new chicken tractor!!!

Justin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Just though I would share some pictures of our attempt with chickens!!!

33421_chicken_040.jpg

This coop began life as a fish house, and I picked it up for free from a woman who tried to raise chickens for 2 years and never got an egg! She had lots of problems with predators and never had the coop secure enough...

33421_chicken_041.jpg

Here is the drop down chicken door and the run. It seems secure, and I haven't had any problems yet!

33421_chicken_043.jpg

Inside view of the nest boxes. Golf balls.....Our hens are 20 weeks old, and we are waiting (not so patiently) for our first eggs...

33421_chicken_044.jpg

Here is a view of the whole setup. As you can see, we're in the middle of 40 acres of woods, so predators are a serious concern.

33421_chicken_035.jpg

Here is our newest project, a chicken tractor. The design is a copy of Mr. Kimball the Deliberate agrarian. Given the natural surroundings, we used hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. All that we have left to do as actually fasten the tarp to the tractor.

33421_chicken_037.jpg

A view without the tarp on. We used steel tie wire to fasten the hardware cloth on. It will take a VERY determined predator to get through the hardware cloth!!

33421_chicken_036.jpg

A view from the front. I still need to add another hasp at the top of the door. Security, security, security....

33421_chicken_038.jpg

The inside of the door end.

33421_chicken_039.jpg

The other end. Please forgive my poor job of cutting the plywood on that end.
lol.png
lol.png

We currently have 13 Buff orpington hens in the coop, 22 cornish cross in the tractor, and 5 BO rooster chicks and 3 BO hen chicks in a brooder in the garage.....Lots of fun

Last edited:
Bravo, well done!
thumbsup.gif

The only suggestion I have is for more ventilation in the coop- mine needed more than I ever thought!

clap.gif
Great job!

LOVE the fish house turned coop and nice sized run. Your girls should be laying any time now.

I'm planning a similar tractor with three cattle panels.

Do you have the hardware cloth on the tractor on the inside? I don't see any that aprons out to prevent diggers.

Back
Top Bottom