My coop will have a concrete floor...

Wallis,
I have just changed out my coop and hutch. I have shavings in the hutch raised floor and sand on paver stones coop floor
The sand and shavings have been in there for a year. I rake the sand twice a day, use a boot tray under the roost covered with newspaper in the hutch. Have not had a problem with moisture in the sand, not much rain here in So. Cal. The girls only go into the hutch to lay or roost at night. The old sand is spread on my Hybrid Bermuda lawn, great fertilizer. I only have four girls in a 6' X 9' coop.
I have pictures on my profile.

Thanks for your input, ChickEngineer. I now plan to use sand in the coop for ease of cleaning and the fact that it can also serve as an indoor dust bath. I will have two galvanized trays under the roost, covered with wire, to make that cleanup a breeze. My coop, when complete, will be 7 x 7 with 3 boxes and home to 4 girls. Additionally, their completely enclosed run will be 12 x 18. I am very excited to be getting chooks and am delighted to have found BYC. Now I'll take a look at your pics!

Wallis,
I have just changed out my coop and hutch. I have shavings in the hutch raised floor and sand on paver stones coop floor
The sand and shavings have been in there for a year. I rake the sand twice a day, use a boot tray under the roost covered with newspaper in the hutch. Have not had a problem with moisture in the sand, not much rain here in So. Cal. The girls only go into the hutch to lay or roost at night. The old sand is spread on my Hybrid Bermuda lawn, great fertilizer. I only have four girls in a 6' X 9' coop.
I have pictures on my profile.

Back
Top Bottom