My Corgi just finished half a chocolate bar...UPDATE

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
I know chocolate can be toxic to dogs, so I'm a bit concerned. Years back I had a dog eat a platefull of brownies and nothing happened, so I'm hoping it's one of those accumulative things.
Any suggestions? Do you think a dose of pepto would do her any good? Has anyone had this happen to their dog?
Murphy Brown is about 27lbs, and she ate about a third of a large dark chocolate bar. Stupid me left it on the coffee table last night and she found it this morning.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I know baking chocolate is deadly for them.

I would think a dark chocolate candy bar has the same thing. I would call your veterinarian right away, to be on the safe side.

You're right, they said Baker's chocolate is deadly.
I had tried called the vet earlier and left a message (the office was closed for lunch), but I got through just now.
She'll probably have a stomach ache for a while, but I'm to keep an eye on her.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Mudhen, I hope your pup will be okay.
IMO I'd call the vet and see what they'd suggest. My beloved shar-pei (the impetus for my BYC name) used to steal chocolate every chance she had and it didn't bother her one iota. However, my brother's beagle mix ate a 1/2 package of chocolate kisses at Xmas time and had seizures and subsequent neurological damage so severe that they chose to put her down. I guess responses run the gamut, I'm hyper vigilant with the 2 dogs I have now after what happened to my brothers dog (and one of my 2 is also a beagle mix).

My groomer vet tech friend told me that if you can get the dog to vomit within the hour it'll be fine. A few drops of hydrogen peroxide in a couple of tablespoons of milk should do the trick. It's probably been more than a hour by now so perhaps a visit to the vet?

Barb

I wish chocolate was lethal....milk chocolate isn't, and from my experience neither are semi-sweet chocolate chips. When our pit bull was about 5 months old he got into over 100 chocolate chip cookies I made, using a total of 4 bags of chocolate chips. I was so mad I was hoping it would kill him!!!!!! But no, he was fine, not even a stomach ache...from what I've read the lethal part of chocolate is the real chocolate, like the good dark chocolate and other products that use real cocoa.

Thanks, guys. This is why I'm so concerned. I have read info about this and that it could be deadly, but the vet's office says not to worry unless it bakers chocolate.
idunno.gif

In the meantime, Murphy is acting just fine...
fl.gif

I'm the one in a panic.

Last edited:
One of my dogs got into more than a lb of sees candy and was fine. My diabetic neighbour gave me her Easter stash, and me not being a chocoholic, forgot to bring it in off the golf cart. I never gave it a thought until a couple of days later I noticed the dog poop I was picking up was foil wrapped:lol:
lol.png
The dog was, and still is, fine.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom