My Cornish X Rocks are dropping over dead

Okay. Looks like a lack of communication between me and the neighbor guys. (This is what happens when you make deals with the drunk guy in the hood.) They've been feeding them too. So between the three of us, who knows how much food they've been getting. I'm going to go weigh them right now and let you know. I hope you can put them on a postal scale, because that's all I have. Tens bucks says they crap on it. Do I have any takers? What SHOULD they weigh anyway?

I wouldn't take that bet, but I'll put $10 down on you covering the scale with newspaper or something similar before the big weigh in.
gig.gif
I think I read under 3lbs for 3 weeks, but hopefully Brunty_Farms will post, he'll know for sure.

Okay. Chickens don't really like to get weighed. The one I got ahold of weighed 1 pound 13ounces. So nowhere near 3 pounds. Maybe I'm starving them to death?

If you're filling the feeder 2 or 3 times daily , neighbors also filling it in between , I'm thinking your feeder is too small for the number of birds . Under that scenario it is possible to over feed some while others starve to death . They need enough space at the feeder for them to stand beside each other , and that space increases as the Cornish X grows .

Quote:
I could easily be wrong on the 3lbs, *thought* that's what I read, but my memory might not.....well, it could be, ummmm....not very reliable....I guess..
gig.gif
Check with Brunty, I know he does a lot of these so that would be better.

Was the process as messy as you feared, or just LOUD?

I bet you are right, Steve. I was hoping to not have to buy anything else, because these are already going to be the most expensive birds ever in the history of mankind, but I bet that is exactly what is happening. That makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
They'll waste some feed , but you can make a cheap feed trough out of a couple of cheap 1x6 pine boards . Cut 6 or 8 inches off each board for ends , screw or nail the remaining long boards between the two shorts in a " v " shape .

Also raise the feeders and waterers to make them stand up to eat and drink. Put feeders and water as far apart as you can to force them to walk.

Psst: And when you are weighing them, I use a big bucket. Weigh the bucket first, then plop a bird in and weigh that. Subract weight of bucket. Most birds seem to like the cozy feel of the bucket and settle quietly in it.

Back
Top Bottom