My cousin's kids count as "pests", right?

Quote:
Should have stopped it right then and not *let it go*. No one at any age has the right to mess around with animals,and they won't unless you allow it.

If there is a next time let the rules be known immediately and stick by them. I would go as far as asking the family members in question to leave the property if they do not control themselves.

My own kids never did anything like this. If they did I would have apologised and removed them right away for further punishment. For me a *sorry* would not make up for my kid hurting an animal.The deed is done and sorry won't help the animal. Hope you find the chick.

See I don't understand why "messing with the animals" is tolerated at all. If the kids were running around a car, getting in and out of it and screwing around with the contents of the car, I would think that the parents would have had a different reaction (especially if it was their car). I use this analogy with adults as well as kids. You would be surprised at how many adults get surprised when they ask to ride one of my horses (and they have no experience riding) and I say to them, let my teenage son drive your car first. To the OP, I am not saying it was your place to get those kids under control, but the parents responsibility. It amazes me that you didn't haul off and whack one, and I applaud your restraint. I hope you have found the missing chick by now and I would NEVER allow those children on my property again. Relatives or not, you do not mess with my animals for "the fun of it". IMO

"letting it go" told the kids AND the parents that it was okay with you for them to treat your animals that way.
Would you allow a stranger to behave that way on your property? No, you would tell them to stop. Why is it hard to tell a relative to stop?

Quote:
Thats what I think. My sister's kids are not allowed to go in with my chickens unless I am there to watch them.

Quote:
Thats what I think. My sister's kids are not allowed to go in with my chickens unless I am there to watch them.

I soooooo agree. 5 & 7 are most certainly old enough to understand 'NO' and if they arent', they sure shouldn't be alowed to do anything outside even the slightest bit unsupervised...

the padlocks on my coop are not just for the raccoons, catch my drift?

You have a padlock on your coop? That is so cool! Of course they wouldn't be for the racoons, they don't have the key!
lol.png
I am going to have to think about putting that on the next coop. Thanks for the idea!​

Quote:
Issue #1 -- the parents should NEVER have let those children in with your chickens. Period. Since they didn't stop the kids, you had every right to do so, and should have exercised that right immediately.
Issue #2 -- "I let this go and lock up the roosters". -- a mistake, IMHO, you or the parents should have locked up the kids instead.
Issue #3 -- they brought you eggs they had taken from your broody pigeon? Why were they allowed anywhere NEAR her?
Issue #4 -- AFTER the previous circumstances, they get in with them yet again (or still) and bring you your chickens' eggs?
Then finally after all this you finally get to release your roos and realize there's a chick missing.... how very sad. I don't think I'd be quick to have another reunion at my place if I were you -- at least not without some MAJOR GROUND RULES in place ahead of time so there is no misunderstanding.
ETA: I don't mean for the above to sound harsh AT ALL; that is not the way it is meant. Just wanted to be clear in that!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom