My crazy chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 15shenyl, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I have a 5 month old EE that started out laying in the nesting boxes, only a few times. I go out one day to find her having a fit trying to find a spot to lay. A few houers later she layed in a box. Then I found no more green eggs for about three weeks, only small blue eggs fron the second EE(I only have 2 EEs). I go out to our large flower pot in the rocks by our pool. Now I chickens like to go back there so they can look at us watching tv in the basement. As I was checking the growth on my new plants, I see about 12 large green eggs. I figured she was hiding these eggs but one in my pot. I look out the window this morning and saw this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you see the silly girl in the pot! I don't even know how she got in there because of the fence around the pot! Well I just thought I had to share this, now it's off to figure out how to get her back in the nesting boxes!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So funny! I have a little six acre woods around my house. I keep my hens locked in the coop with attached run until I get home from the office at 5:00 each day. I would never be able to find their eggs if they picked a place outside.

Thanks for sharing that! LOL

3. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    lol that's a good one! my chicken loves to hid the eggs to but that was when I free ranged them she always hid them on the hay bales so I could have to crawl through tight spaced and sometimes cobwebs to find the eggs and sometimes she wouldn't give up her eggs and would give a fight. Now she is turning 7 and stopped laying but she was fun when coming to search for her eggs. BTW when I said when I free ranged them I keep them in a caged area because we started loosing a lot of chickens we lost about 7 in 3-5 monthes

4. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I looked in our yard, we have an acre of land. I looked under the bushes and in the wood pile where my oldest hens layed a few times after we had a fire, I even started looking in the garden, I never thought she would lay in my flower pots!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    LOL! Is she broody.

6. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    No she's not broody, she got up about 20 minutes ago and a green egg is in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by