My crest duck has a growth on her head

Theanimalmom

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
I had a crest duck that is about 6 weeks old and she has a growth under her crest. I have noticed this growth on her when she was about 1-2 weeks old. The growth has gotten bigger and it seems to be growing outwards. The growth is hard and is attached to her head. I do not have a picture of the growth on me but I can post one later. She eats and drinks just fine. However, she is a little wobbly more so than the others and is very clumsy, and trips. Her feet turns inwards towards each other sometimes when she walks. I give all of my ducks brewers yeast and I switch it up every other day with a mineral and electrolyte mix that has niacin in it. I give them unmediated organic Purina chicken feed. I drew a picture of what the growth looks like and I have it labeled below. If someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. The growth is located at the back of her head.

Attachments

• IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 78
Unfortunately, that is simply how crested ducks work. The crest is a mound of hard fat made to protect the exposed brain, because they have a malformed skull. Breeders selected for this trait, even though it is terrible for the birds. They also have other bad genes.

Continue to take care of your duck as best you can. Hopefully the neurological issues do not get any worse than they already are. There is not a "cure" as it is genetic, as others have said. Crested ducks can go on to live relatively long, normal, healthy lives. It all just depends on how bad the neurological issues are. Good luck. You are doing all you can.

Continue to take care of your duck as best you can. Hopefully the neurological issues do not get any worse than they already are. There is not a "cure" as it is genetic, as others have said. Crested ducks can go on to live relatively long, normal, healthy lives. It all just depends on how bad the neurological issues are. Good luck. You are doing all you can.

I am sorry I cannot help but to cry. She is such a sweet heart and has a special place in my heart. I am really attached to my ducks already. I have read past forums and they said to give her poultry nutri drench and that it helped, so I am going to try that. Do I need to separate her from other ducks?

Poultry vitamins will not cure neurological issues..Not sure what you read?..It is very sad..I love my Ducks too. All you can do is care for her and see how well she does..Separating the Duckling will only cause it stress.Just never breed it at all if it survives with certain quirks..I wish you the best with the Duck...:frow

Nutridrench can help with some neurological problems, but only those with vitamin deficiencies. Her problem is not a vitamin deficiency. However, just because she's disabled doesn't mean she's doomed. You need to prepare yourself for the worst, but many people have had disabled birds live for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom