My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics
Casportpony, I ordered the Baytril. Thanks so much!!

She looks a tad bit better today. She's eaten some banana and crumbles and drinking some water. Not a lot, but her poo looked better today also. I'll order the tubing feeders today. The metronidazole should be here within the hour! And the Baytril s/b here by Wednesday. I sure hope she makes it!

I don't know her weight. So I ordered a digital scale so that I can track the weights of my girls (and roo) going forward.

Can the yeast infection be passed from the roo to the other girls or to him? And, what about clostridium or necrotic enteritis. Is it contagious?

Thanks in advance. I don't know what the newbies would do without the experienced chicken lovers out there like you who are willing to take the time to share their knowledge with us!!

I'll keep you informed. (I'll probably need your help with something...). LOL

THANK YOU!!!

Yippee! I just got the magic medicine. Based on your calculations, I gave her 1/4 of a pill just now. How long do you think it will take to see results, Castorpony??

Yippee! I just got the magic medicine. Based on your calculations, I gave her 1/4 of a pill just now. How long do you think it will take to see results, Castorpony??
If it is clostridium, it might take many days before you see improvement. Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

hi, Casportony. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I got the tubing feeders on order. Probably won't get them for a few days though. Meanwhile, the worst of the 3 sick ones is eating some today. Been giving her the metronidazole, along with Neomycin in her water. She's been wormed. And yeast infection is gone. I'll get a pic of her poo as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, she still stands with her eyes closed and droopy wings. I received the Baytril today.

Its10% Oral Solution. Also, I got the digital scale yesterday. She's sooo thin. She weighs 3.53 lbs.

How should I administer it??? Bottle says "2ml per quart of water. Can I give it to her in her mouth? If so, what dosage? Should I discontinue the Neomycin or the metronidazole?

Hope you get this soon. These sick hens are monopolizing sooo much of my time. I just want to get them well, and happy again. As quickly as possible.

Thanks so much.

Sandi

The amount of Baytril I give is 20mg/kg orally once a day for no more than 5 days. So for a 3.53 pound hen, the 10% solution at 20mg/kg it's 3.53 pounds, divide by 2.2, times 20mg, divide by 100mg/ml, which looks like this - 3.53 / 2.2 x 20 / 100 = 0.32ml. The amount that I would give 3.53 pound hen is 0.32ml. Make sense?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Do you mean "right down the throat" or in the water??

Also, should I discontinue the Neomycin that I've been giving to them in their water (today is the 7th day)? Directions say 14 days.

Continue with the metronidazole? Right??

My other hen, who was much worse than her, laid 2 eggs this morning. Otherwise, I've been getting 1 egg/day for about 1 week now from her. Also, her stools are starting to look normal. She's 5.23 lbs. they weighed about the same before the illness.

Also, I have 11 chicks. They are about 8-9 weeks old. I've treated everyone with Corid. Their coop is sand. But they've been in the run now for about 1-1/2 weeks, along with my guinea hens (same age). The run is dirt.

My 3rd hen (with the respiratory problem) is getting her 2nd Oxine fogging treatment now. She doesn't seem to be responding very much to the metronidazole. But, she's eating a little. More, if I give her mealworms, which I raise also. Very spoiled chickens!

I'm just waiting on the "go ahead" from you about the "down the throat" question, and whether or not to discontinue the Neomycin before I move forward.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom