My Crossbeak Chicken named Cheeky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MeMotherHen, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MeMotherHen

MeMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    Hello, My name is KayLee and this summer I became the proud mother of 25 chickens! Now we have one rooster, we lost one chicken so now we have 23 girls and one boy. They are all doing fine! Just starting to lay their eggs!! Our first egg was a jumbo three yolk big wooper!! it was amazing!!
    So we have a crossbeak hen named Cheeky...and she hasn't been doing well at all. My dad found her almost gone when it was so cold...so now we are bringing her to the vet. I found some helpful posts about crossbeaks here...but now I have my own questions.

Does anyone know of high energy foods good for bringing life back into a chicken?

Does anyone know of a good source of nutrients for weak chickens?

Is baby food a good substitute for real food?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I've never dealt with a crossbeak so I don't have advice for you but Good for you giving this girl such a wonderful life! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, KayLee, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock. Wish I had something helpful for you about crossbeak but I'm afraid I don't. I'm sure somewhere on BYC is the answer. Best of luck to you!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] See if you can find a vitamin+mineral supplement for poultry. I use it for my chickens if/when the need arises and it's been a life saver! Soft, easily edible food like plain yoghurt and scrambled egg will be good for your hen. Also mix some Apple Cider Vinegar with her drink water (I mix 4-5 tablespoons with a gallon water and give it to all my chickens). It helps them absorb nutrients and promotes overall wellbeing. If you can find the organic one with the "mother" even better.

I don't know if you've seen this thread? :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

Good luck!

5. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!!![​IMG]

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i've never heard of a crossbeak

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. MeMotherHen

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks all for the welcome to the flock at the Backyard!!

Today I took my crossbeak...which by the way is an Aracauna...to the vet today and they took off the tips of the beak top and bottom, this way she can get to her food easier. We are feeding her baby food by syringe at the moment until she recovers! She's making me nervous but I think she'll pull through! She loves her food and is very strong willed, so I have high hopes for getting her healthy again!!

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

10. MeMotherHen

Oct 12, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is Cheeky...she's a strong girl and she's getting her strength back!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by