My Cuckoo Maran has gone Cuckoo!

First make sure she's actually broody, some birds like to lounge in the nest,
or hide there from bullies or if not feeling well.
Is she on the nest most the day and all night?
Is she screaming at you and biting if you try to touch her?
I only 'call broody' if they've been on the nest 3 days/nights running.
If she is broody, CN13 is correct, a broody breaker crate is the best option,
and the sooner the better.
Yup. Has been in there for about 6 days now. Gets angry and literally scream when we open box to gather other eggs

Hi! I don't know very much about this, as I haven't had a hen go broody yet. I have heard sometimes setting them in cold water helps to break them from the broodiness, but I don't know if it works. Maybe make sure she has access to calcium such as oyster shells or egg shells? I don't know if I can help you very much with this lol. I'm sure you will get good answers though.

But on the other hand, would you mind posting a picture of what your cuckoo marans looks like? We recently got some chicks at our feed store and don't know if they are barred rocks or cuckoo marans, so I would be curious to know what yours look like! If you can't that's fine, I was just curious. :)
Ok! This is my Cuckoo...

Attachments

• C928A3AE-0BF2-4212-A306-E215E027DF64.jpeg
    C928A3AE-0BF2-4212-A306-E215E027DF64.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 13
Ok! This is my Cuckoo...

She's very pretty! Thank you for the picture! I think mine look a little more like the ones in @GreenbrierChickens photo, so apparently there can be a lot of color variation in the same breed! I have one that's almost all white down her front and others that look more like yours. I guess only time will tell what they really are! :)

Ok! This is my Cuckoo...
She's very pretty! Thank you for the picture! I think mine look a little more like the ones in @GreenbrierChickens photo, so apparently there can be a lot of color variation in the same breed! I have one that's almost all white down her front and others that look more like yours. I guess only time will tell what they really are! :)
This is our 1st time having hens. So we don't know much. My Dominique looks just like the one above, more white with black.

Back
Top Bottom