My custom-built surprise coop just arrived yesterday!

Quote:
Buck Creek - how high should those roosts be? And it's already warmed up here - it's 85 today.

Quote:
The roost is up top, so once you get in the stairs there is a raised area with a perch. Here is a pic, but you can't see up inside the top really. I wonder if I need a lower-down roosting pole in the inside part too??

march10-coop-029.jpg

I worry it'll be too hot so thanks to the advice on here I'll see if my husband will make a vent up there for the girls. I wonder if they like light in there??? Will have to look into that.

LynneP - the exterior is a metal screen - maybe hardware cloth? It's very sturdy and metal...

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!

LOL - they have so much scrap lumber around and my mom's good to them, so they did it to be nice... plus they said they enjoyed building something fun for once! (I told them they should go into the coop building business, but they laughed at me. It only took them a week of doing this in their down time!)

Your coop has all the bell's and whistles your chicks will need, your neighbors will like it as well because it is well designed and pleasing to the eye's. I need one of these myself now that I think of it.
I hate painting, what are you doing this week-end?
HappyHatch'en

About knee high for one then if you want a second place it about 6 to 8 inch. higher and about the same behind the lower one, like a step. If its warm enuff they might even sleep out side.

wink.png
Congratulations! It looks great. Did you treat it with anything to hold up to the weather?
We're pretty bad at DIY projects and so are our friends (LOL) so we went with a smaller one that came already made. I was a little worried about how the wood would hold up but these Amish guys who make it must put some kind of water repellent and during the storms we've had- its holding up great....we got ours from Pennsylvania..http://www.horizonstructures.com/mini_coop.asp

Are the screens on the inside or outside?

CitySlicker

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom