My dachshund

Status
Not open for further replies.

waibel zoo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sandy, UT
So today we were surprised to find, Sparkle, my daughter's chinchilla had given birth. Usually she has just one baby, but today she had triplets. Two girls and one boy were still wet when I opened the cage to check on momma. These are my 9 year old daughter's pets. Her personal pets that stay in here room. The daddy chinchilla has been quite protective today. He has not hurt me but bit my daughter good when she tried to look in on Sparkle and her new babies.

So a little backround: I have a dachshund that I bought about a year and a half ago. She is sweet, loves to cuddle and sleeps under the blankets. She has the softest velvety ears you have ever felt.She knows when any of us are not feeling well and will pay particular attention to that person. She plays and befriends all my other dogs. In fact last year when my pug had puppies my dachshund was more interested in taking care of the puppies then the momma dog was. She would clean them, sleep with them and would let them nurse off of her. She was only a year old at the time. I would have let her have a litter but in order to keep one of the pups my husband wanted me to get everyone fixed. I ageed because the homeless pet population is completely out of control.

When I first got my chickens, on the first day home she found her way into them. She killed two. As long as she had them I was surprised they were not all dead. They looked played with but not bitten. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt and have done my best to train her that the chickens are not hers. She gets sprayed with the hose every time she paces the coop, trying to get in. I have held chickens and called her near to smell. Anytime she has been the least bit aggressive I have smacked her bottom and told her no. Last week somehow the coop door was left open. I went out and started looking. I expected the worse; dead chickens everywhere. But from what I could tell all were in the coop, sleeping in the sun. My pugs were on the porch sleeping as well. So I called the dachshund. She did not come, but I spotted her in the corner of the yard with a chicken, a cockrel, dead. She was not eating it but had torn it up. Because it was a cock and not a hen I vowed to be even stricter with her. I hit her multiple times with the dead chicken, I spanked her, I was so mad at her. She slinked the rest of the day and tried to earn my forgiveness.

So tonight I put my children to bed and went down stairs in the basement to watch TV before going to bed. My daughter comes down with a baby chin, born today, bleeding in her hands. She tells me the dachshund was looking into the cage, a baby got too close, she bit it and pulled it through the bars. My daughter saw her run down the hall and she chased her. She dropped the baby. The baby girl was still twitching but dying.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I put her with her mom to die. The chins were upset too. The male was making his warning call at me. The mom was chattering and walking around her baby, licking her. My daughter was happy at least Sparkle had more then one baby this time, so at least we had some left.
hit.gif

I don't know what to do here. I do not want a dog that kills other animals living in our home. But I love her so much. She is so soft, snuggly, loyal and good with my kids. I am crying for that lost baby chin who died on her first day of life, I am crying for my daughter who had to witness it but has more strength then I to bear it, I am crying for the parents who morn and hurt over their lost daughter.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
My daughter wanted to know if she could bury the baby in my garden and plant flowers over her.
hit.gif

I have a 4 yr old dachshund and he is very chicken and rabbit agressive - he will go for them and has killed several when they got close enough for him to get to them. He is kept away from my flock by strong wire fencing and electric fencing. I too have been torn whether to adopt him out instead of running the risk of another unneeded animal death - i just make very sure he doesn't get the chance to get to them and that way we all get along - but i always keep an eye on him out there.

First, I am very sorry for your daughter. I am sure she is very upset. Unfortunately, this is a topic that is posted often here on BYC. And for every post, there is a member with an opinion. You need to do what is best for you and your family.

Dogs are dogs and for many, hunting is an instinct. I personally have 5 dogs, 4 of which would be more than happy to eat a chicken, bird or rabbit if given the chance. We love our dogs and will not get rid of them. They are hunting dogs and it is their nature to hunt. We choose to take the responsibility of containing our chickens and dogs in their respective areas and work extra hard, to keep gates closed, doors shut, etc.

I don't consider your dog a bad dog for this. She is doing what she knows. Good luck with your decision.

Dachshunds can be nasty little critters. I have a dachshund and I have a pitbull and guess who I have to watch the most. I let my chickens and guineas free range and the pitbull will not bother any of them. The dachshund will kill them all. I believe dachshunds were bred to hunt badgers. So you dog is doing what dachshunds do. Our dogs are crate trained so that when we want them away from something like people or other animals they go in their crates.

My dachshund plays with my cats and does not hurt them and the cats actually scare him when they attack him lol.

Just another Dachsy owner here with my 2 cents.

Did you know that this breed is classified as a hound? Hounds are hunters. I have two sisters and they are quite the pair when it comes to hunting. I have witnessed them both kill a squirrel with a special method. One will get up front and the other behind the squirrel. They will herd it into each other and then..poor squirrel.

We have a small pond and my DH got this idea to let our two ducks out of the coop to live around the pond. Yep. The dachshy's got them. I've been lucky so far and not lost a chicken to them and I've had chickens for as long as I've had my dogs. I don't let my chickens free range though.
I love my two girls. We've had all of their 8 years of life. I hate that they're killers, but they're dogs. We're just extra vigilent and don't let our chickens free range. We can't protect the squirrels though.

ETA: Also, our dogs are not allowed into the bedrooms. Our house is laid out to where the bedrooms are off a hall in the back and so we've put a baby gate up to keep them from going through that hall. This might be an option for you even if to just put one up in front of your DD's doorway. They make those that swing in for easy people entry without having to step over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom