1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Daughter Has Chicken Pox.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gracefulspice, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Yes I know she can't it from our chickens. But really......why did they name it chicken pox? [​IMG] Doesn't look like anything my chickens ever had. [​IMG] I noticed these misquito bites on her back yesterday. I called the Dr's cause I thought with this many it may be chicken pox, and they said it may be an allergic reaction to the pennicillan she just finish (after 10 days) for Scarrlett Fever. Just give her Benidrill and Hydrocorisone cream to infected area. Yesterday there was 15 marks on her back...today so far 23. [​IMG] I took her to day care and they basically threw me out saying it was chicken pox too. [​IMG] I basically felt like an a*@. I called the Dr. again when I got home and they still say "she was vaccinated for it and the chances are slim." I made an appt. anyways. But really how long does it take to run it's course? Does it go state by state like the flu? I feel so bad for her she can't stop itching. [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My oldest daughter had chicken pox twice. The younger daughter was vaccinated and still got a bad case of them. As long as the sores are blistery and weeping others can catch them.

Use cornstarch for powder to help with itching. Also the Aveeno oatmeal bath works really well to help with itching. My oldest had them so bad we let her play in the bath tub for an hour or more several times a day to help.

They run their course in about 2 weeks.

3. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    sorry to hear about that i have never had chicken pocks and it scares me to think that i might get them some day for they say it gets worse as the person gets older luckely my brother had them when he was little and it was winter so it didn't bother him at all

4. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I had chicken pox 3, yes that's 3, times when I was a kid. She'll be uncomfortable for a bit, but it will run it's course and be finished before you know it.

Someone mentioned the Aveeno Oatmeal bath--Aveeno also makes oatmeal lotion. Not sure how it would fare with pox, but when my mother was on chemo and severe itching (was a side effect), it helped her a lot.

When I had them as a child, I was very comfortable laying on the couch that was covered in cool, starched sheets. The cheap, somewhat scratchy sheets always helped.

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've heard that the name Chicken Pox came from a corruption of the Old English word "giccin," which meant itching -therefore, the Itching Pox. It's also been theorised that the pox marks look like the bites of a chicken, but having never received a bite from a chicken that left a mark I can't say how accurate that is. [​IMG]

Good luck (and plenty of patience) with your daughter!

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:(ahhh I am sorry........I remember when my kids all got them. I had 4 kids under 4 1/2 at the time.they ALL got them at the same time, I was glad......if they had done it at different times.I would have been housebound for months ! My 2yr old at that time got them inside ears,nose,mouth,bottom,was horrid..........she potty trained herself that week since the burning was so bad,she could not wear any clothes much less diapers....Oatmeal baths do help alot....mine had fun pretending to make water cookies HAHA>....at least you know an end is coming ! Take care.....and I too , am curious why they named it after chickens ![​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

One thing about the chicken pox vaccine, is that it does wear off, and it is best that children get it when they are young. Chicken pox is one of thoes unlike polio which will take a week or so and be gone.

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    M.J :

sorry to hear about that i have never had chicken pocks and it scares me to think that i might get them some day for they say it gets worse as the person gets older luckely my brother had them when he was little and it was winter so it didn't bother him at all

I am in the same boat...never had them! My daughter got a mild case of them after she was vaccinated, so hopefully she'll never have them again!

Gracefulspice,
    Sorry to hear about your daughter. I've never had them, but I have had poison ivy that covered both my legs...entirely, and it was awful!! Hope she feels better soon. I know it's awful to see your children sick. My daughter has a little cold right now and even that bothers me so much, that she's been sleeping in our bed. [​IMG]

9. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    i read that it got its name because people thought the rash looked like chick peas on the skin.

I guess they do look like a chicken bite, but all the bites i have had bleed like crazy, i got attacked by a mother hen when her babies got outside the chicken coop.

10. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    I wish you lived by me...I would like my 8 year old boy to get it over with here in lower MI!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by